55 | disrupt

a/n: I think there's a problem with Wattpad. they keep messing up my tags, deleting my media and unpublished this chapter I put out yesterday. sorry guys.

*

Finn woke up with a start. He sat upright and visibly calmed when he saw me beside him. He laid back and I planted my chin on his chest with my hand wrapped around his torso.

"Hey, good morning. Did you sleep well?"

His eyelids fluttered shut and he held his face in his hand. "I think I had a bad dream."

"A bad dream? What was it about?"

He shook his head. "I can't recall, but I know I hated it. It fucked with my head."

I raised myself over him and stroked his face. His hazy eyes stared at me as I did so. "I'm sorry about that."

"It's fine, thank you," he rasped with a small smile.

I slung one leg over his hip and straddled him. I drummed my fingers on his bare stomach. "Well, today's a special someone's birthday."

"Yours?"

I rolled my eyes and leant in to give him a peck on his lips. "Of course. Happy birthday, babe."

"Thank you. Don't I get more than a peck on my birthday?"

I rolled away from him and stepped off the bed. "Later, if you're lucky. Get cleaned up while I heat up the chicken soup. Your phone has been blowing up like crazy all morning."

I left him to do his thing and went to the kitchen. Twenty minutes later he came out, hair damp with only his pants on. He was speaking with his phone pressed to his ear and paced the space of my kitchen.

"Thank you very much, sir. I really appreciate it." Then he ended the call. After a moment he got on another. When that one ended, I couldn't help chuckling.

"Wow, you are one popular man."

He winced slightly. "They're mostly business associates and organizations I've worked with. And a long list of business friends and mere acquaintances."

"Do they send gifts?"

"A lot. I give all the monetary ones to charity."

"I bet they all look forward to your birthday," I teased and beckoned him to the island where his food lay. I'd toasted some bread to go with the soup. Finn dug in at an alarming speed. "Whoa, slow down tiger. How are you going to spend your day before dinner?"

He didn't speak until he took the last bite of his food, then he pushed his plates away and dabbed his mouth with a napkin. "The office. Elliot will try and take on more of the workload because it's my birthday, but I can still manage to occupy myself with some work."

"Who works on their birthday?"

"I told you, it's not a big deal to me. It's just like every other day."

I shook my head as I got off my chair and walked over to his. "Yeah, I'm going to change that. I'm going to make you love your birthdays."

"You wouldn't be the first to try." He pulled me closer and stroked my hair. "Elliot already did."

I leaned in closer and whispered, "Well, I'm not Elliot. Let me grab my things and we'll head back to your apartment."

On the drive to his place I suddenly felt anxious. How would Finn react to what lay in store? Would he love it? Or worse, hate it? I bet something like this hadn't been done for him before, so I kept my fingers crossed. Natalie had given me the assurance I needed from her texts last night, but it didn't help the tightening knot that took a hold of my stomach. Oh God, I was going to vomit again.