12

Yoongi

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about Charlie.

We're sat side by side in the back of a taxi, heading to Jieun's apartment and she hasn't let go of my hand the entire ride. After yesterday, I've been careful, checking what mood she's in and if she looks sad, I let my affectionate side out. Though I've found in the past that I'm not a major fan of hugs, I don't mind them so much when it's me doing the hugging and when it's with someone I care for.

For what seems like the umpteenth time today, I look over at Charlie and assess her profile, seeing if she's looking sad or if she looks like she's overthinking. However, this time, when I look over at her, I'm met with a pair of green eyes. Charlie squeezes my hand lightly, her gaze soft and adoring.

"Yoongs," She says quietly, her melodic voice easing the taxi out of silence, "You don't need to keep on checking on me, I'm alright. I'm thankful that you care so much about me, but I don't want you to worry too much. If I start to feel bad, I'll tell you, I promise."

I nod my head, smiling gently, "Alright, I'll stop."

Though I mean my words and my smile isn't fake, I don't stop worrying at all. What happened yesterday scared me so much, I didn't get a lot of sleep and I've been mulling it over for a while. Evidently Charlie went through a lot of pain after her parents died and from what I can tell, she only had Jieun to support her. I don't like to think that when my soulmate needed me the most, I wasn't there, because we hadn't even met. Maybe if I'd met her a couple of years ago, around the time of her parent's accident, I could have helped her and she wouldn't be this anxiety ridden now. The only thing I can do now, is care for her as much as I can and be there for when she needs me.

Suddenly, a thought strikes me and I turn to Charlie, opening my mouth to ask her. She gives me a quizzical look, but listens all the same.

"If........ what happened," I say, dropping my voice at those words, not wanting to say it bluntly, "Was to do with cars, how do you cope with riding in them everyday?"

Charlie's expression clouds slightly and I recognise the look of lostness on her pretty features. I tighten my grip on her hand slightly, wanting to soothe her and I'm instantly regretting asking in the first place.

"I do find riding in cars difficult. I wasn't in the accident with my parents, but every time I get into a car, I instantly think of memories of them and remember that this is how they died. Most of the time I'm able to suppress the memories, but when I'm tired, it's a lot harder. I associate cars with bad feelings of loss and loneliness, so I try to walk as much as I can." She finishes and I take in all this information, my heart aching for her. I don't want Charlie to be living this fear of her own mind and memories, as I know what it's like to overthink things and watch them escalate out of control.

If only I can find a way to help her associate cars with good things.

I make a mental note to figure out something to help her and give her hand one last squeeze, before turning my head to look out of the window. It's only midmorning, so the streets are quite empty and I know that in a couple of hours, the pavements will be bustling with people. That's one of the things I like about Seoul and living in the city: there are times when you feel like it's only you in the world and then times when there are so many people, you don't feel lonely.

It only takes another 5 minutes for the taxi to reach Jieun's apartment building and we both get out, heading into the building. Charlie's hand is soft and small against mine and I find both solace and safety in her touch. I'm not a big fan of visiting new places, which is a bit stupid since my job entails visiting new places and it's nice to have someone to support me, even if it's only with their presence.