🌞Chapter 11🌻

PRESENT
🌞🌻

"Are you looking for me?"

Closer to the front desk, he saw Mew had sunk into a sofa. His long legs were thrown out in front of him, crossed at the ankles, his back against the sofa.

"If so, you're in luck."

"How did you---?"

Mew grinned at Gulf's expression. "If you're wondering what I'm doing here, they said my room wasn't ready yet, so I was just killing time. I wasn't exactly waiting for you to come find me."

Gulf's face flushed at this response. He seemed to see right through him.

"What happened to your girlfriend? Wasn't tonight going to be special?"

"She's not my girlfriend. My boss set us up," Gulf explained, his breathing still ragged.

"So if you're not staying at the hotel, what are you doing here? You mean you actually came looking for me?"

A chill ran down Gulf's back under Mew's probing gaze. The frigid sensation prickled the skin of his entire body. He thought frantically about what he should do, but he didn't reach any conclusions. Simple instinct spoke to him, telling him, 'go along with it.'

"You're right." Gulf balled his hands into fists. "I was looking for you."

Small wrinkles formed between Mew's eyebrows at Gulf's declaration. "I took a room upstairs. Do you want to come up and talk?" Mew had a room key in his hand. The clinking noise they made became an alarm bell inside Gulf. Mew's eyes pierced his heart.

If he accepted Mew's invitation now, there would be no going back. It would undermine everything he had accomplished in distancing himself eight years ago. Gulf knew that, but he couldn't get away. He knew it so well that he didn't want to get away.

Because he had always regretted his decision. Regretted listening to AA's advice, regretted betraying Mew's feelings.

He had been unable to forget the lover he'd left behind eight years ago. He'd been unable to fill the gaping hole in his heart by himself.

Even if he was wrong to accept Mew's invitation, it was nothing compared to Gulf's crime eight years before.

Even if he was going to get hurt again, he could never suffer more than he had then.

TBC