🌻Chapter 39

PAST
🌻

Gulf took a seat at the counter facing a window. It looked out on the road, and he watched people go by for a long time.

The ice in his iced coffee was melting, diluting the taste. He sat stirring the straw in the cup, never drinking it. It had been more than half an hour since he'd left Mew's apartment.

"So much for coming as soon as he could," Gulf muttered. The sound of his discontent fell to the counter and was slowly absorbed by the sweat coating the paper cup of his coffee.

'Maybe he's not even coming.' The thought flashed through his mind.

He could act smooth and say that Mew was only being himself, but Gulf was strongly aware of how different worlds they lived in were, probably more than anyone else. But since Gulf understood that they were different, he could tell himself that it didn't matter. He desired Mew because he knew that they were different.

Mew lived in a world completely distinct from the ordinary world. Gulf believed he could do the same, but something held him back.

His fingers were interlaced and resting on the countertop, trembling. "Come quick. I'll wait five more minutes, and if you're not here, I'm going to order a hamburger."

"Mew is not coming."

Gulf jerked his head up in surprise at the sound of the voice. In the window, he saw the reflection of a man in a suit, and he turned around. A shudder ran down his spine at the cold gaze the man was giving him. "Where's Mew?"

"Mew has urgent business to attend to, and has to returned to Tokyo."

"To Tokyo?" Mew hadn't told him anything about that.

"I serve as Mew Suppasit's guardian. My name is AA Pattarabut. Mew told me that you helped him in school."

Gulf jumped as the man put his hand inside his jacket, but all he pulled out was a cigarette. AA hunched over slightly and lit the cigarette that dangled from his lips.

"I called Mew several times to ask him to come back, but he said that he would not be able to under any circumstances. As I was making no progress, I was forced to come here personally to persuade him." He said, sounding surprised. He blew out a cloud of smoke and invited Gulf to come outside with him with a glance. Gulf hurried after him. The man stopped at an alley near the restaurant.

Gulf remembered how upset Mew had been by all the calls he'd gitwten from his family. They had all been from this man.

"When will Mew be coming back here?"

"Tomorrow."

AA's answer put Gulf's mind at ease. "Well, then that's not so bad."

"The day after tomorrow, Mew intends to skip his induction ceremony to take over the family business, and run away with you."

"What?" Gulf couldn't follow this sudden turn of conversation.

"Run...away with me?"

"Of course, he ought to understand that it would not be constructive to spend the rest of his life as a fugitive. I am ignoring his foolish claim that he wishes to continue his current lifestyle until graduating from high school." AA flicked the long column of ash on his cigarette onto the ground. "Such selfishness will not be tolerated. The transfer of power was decided upon Mew's admission to high school. He should realize that the only reason he was transferred to this school was to distance him from the internal conflicts going on before his take over. If he cannot fulfill his obligations, he is a fool who understands nothing about the morale of the entire group," AA's impassivity cracked, and he made a sour face.