🌞Chapter 23🌻

PAST
🌞🌻

"Gulf?"

"Time to hit the books." Gulf stood up, trying to banish his confusion.

"I don't feel like it."

"Quit complaining and sit over there. Where's your dictionary? You must have one. Go find it for us."

"You're acting like some soccer mom."

"Is that what you want from me, Mew? All I want is for you to be happy," Gulf answered in a caricature of motherly suffering.

"Ugh, that's creepy." Mew made a face and left the room.

Left by himself, Gulf let out a sigh of relief. He was pretty sure Mew hadn't heard the wild pounding in his chest. The very thought started his heart beating at an even quicker pace.

He didn't clearly understand why that would be. It was only when he was alone with Mew that he got so excited. And in an effort to keep him from realizing it. Gulf had acted much too sternly and said things that were completely unnecessary.

"What am I doing? Things have been weird ever since I first met Mew."

Gulf tried to remember when his strange behavior had begun. He could trace it back to that first time they'd met in the classroom. Meeting Mew's penetrating eyes and catching his masculine scent, so unlike that of all his other friends---that was the beginning, when Gulf had first felt so fascinated by and curious about that 'something' that he had never experienced before.

In the two months since then, Gulf had seen a lot more of Mew's true nature. He may have had a rough and arrogant way of speaking, but he wasn't really a bad person. Of course, Gulf had never seen him outside school, but he thought he could imagine what it would be like.

Mew seemed to be the type of person who believed he was stronger than anything. That let him believe that he could achieve anything. Gulf had picked up on that during the midterms. Mew had turned in blank answer sheets for every subject. Gulf had noticed it the first day and he'd suggested that they could study together for the next day's subjects, even if it was only for a few minutes. But Mew had ignored him.

He only found out the reason for this recklessness later.

Apparently some people in their class had said that the reason Mew passed the placement exams was because someone had passed him the answers. And since he would know the answers for these tests ahead of time too, he was bound to get a good grade.

The students should have known better than anyone that he would never get away with such a thing. Gulf was sure the people spreading the rumors had started them because they were jealous, Mew took their bait about the tests with his simplistic honesty.

When he found out why, Gulf called Mew an idiot. He'd demanded to know why he had done something so childish. Mew had answered readily that they gotten on his nerves. Common sense seemed to dictate that not many people would have done something like that, even if they were annoyed, but Mew was true to his word.

At the same time that Mew's impulsive goodness shocked Gulf, he admired him for it---for whatever made him capable of doing it, and whatever made him the way he was. Gulf had suffered a lot of other trivial surprises too. Nothing was worth giving as an example, but they all combined to form something much bigger.

Before he knew it, Gulf's interest in Mew and his curiosity about him had only continued to grow, swelling gradually. That was why he reacted more than necessary to the things he said and did.

When Gulf reached this conclusion, Mew came back carrying a dictionary.

TBC