Chapter 17

"Are you feeling unwell?" Mia noticed that Seina didn't seem to have an appetite. The plate was still more than half full, yet she was already putting the spoon down.

Looking at that pale complexion, Mia was even more worried.

"It's nothing like that. I just got something on my mind lately." Seina smiled, trying to reassure Mia. Then, she stood up and began to clean her dishes.

Mia was silent, then nodded slowly. She looked at Aiden, making sure that the kid finished his meal.

What's capable of making Seina felt so down? Mia couldn't think of anything. Did she encounter something outside?

Mia was worried. "You should take some rest. Let me wash the dishes tonight."

"Thank you. Sorry to trouble you." Seina didn't argue and walked to her bedroom, seemingly so tired.

Mia had been spending her time home lately. Leon hadn't called for a week nor said that he needed her to do anything. It was a good thing. She was still not feeling comfortable around so many people in his office, and he spent most of his time there.

That one time was probably for show. He wanted the employees to spread rumors so that the news would reach his mother soon.

Plus, Mian had been thinking and worrying about Aiden lately. He was about to get his treatment in a month. Seeing that kid in pain always broke her heart every time.

Aiden was suffering from a small brain tumor. It was a good thing that Mia had found out about this sooner before everything was too late. If she had lost the last person she regarded as a family, she didn't even think she could continue to live with herself.

The money given by Leon was to pay for Aiden's surgery. She could've refused his offer, yet she didn't. Otherwise, Aiden wouldn't get his treatment so soon. She didn't want to delay things any longer since it involved Aiden's life.

Mia ruffled Aiden's head affectionately, causing the boy to look up and grin at her. Sighing inwardly, Mia couldn't help but lament the times when they were short on money. Their financial situation had gotten better.

It felt like her heart was ripped out every time Aiden told her about his head pain. She was often powerless in this kind of situation. She did save some money from the work, but it was still not enough. Far from enough.

Mia sighed to herself as she thought about it. Perhaps, she could find another way to look for money besides getting them from Leon? Mia's eyes flashed as she sunk in contemplation.

If she could make the money herself, she wouldn't be forced into this kind of situation where she had no power to resist.

A sudden idea spurted into her mind. Maybe, she can try to do that? It was something that has been on her mind for some time. Now that she had gotten more time for other things, she probably should do that.

In the future, she hoped that she can finally be free of Leon's clutch...

Mia took Aiden and Seina's plate to the kitchen counter as soon as she finished her meal. She accompanied Aiden to bed before cleaning the dishes.

After they had moved to Seina's place, Aiden had gotten more lively that he was finally able to befriend the kids his age in the area.

When Mia first found out that she was pregnant with Aiden, she was both happy and worried. Aiden's existence helped her cope with the death of her foster mother, yet she was also plagued with anxiety in case she couldn't be a good parent for him.

"Good night, Mama," Aiden said while hugging the pillow.

She stayed beside him, stroking his forehead so that he will fall asleep soon.

Mia grew up in an orphanage. It was until she turned ten that a pair of foster parents adopted her. They took her in to be the playmate of their only son, who was two years older than her.

The memory of her foster brother didn't bring her a pleasant mood. He had been gone for years as soon as he turned eighteen, just a few months before the death of her foster father.

He never came back. Not even when the foster mother was sick due to the grief over her dead husband.

Mia was forced to take care of herself, as well as her foster mother at such young age. She took on any job she could find until she finally finished college with much difficulty. She applied for a job at Leon's company, and that was where she had met him.

The two people were initially strangers. At some point, Leon had taken notice of her. Small attention was enough to raise her wage. She knew that the increase in her payment had something to do with him. She was grateful for it.

But just when she thought that everything was going for the better, her foster mother's condition deteriorated. She'd vomit blood once a while, and the appetite was getting worse to the point that only bones could be seen.

Mia had no money for the treatment, making her anxious. She also had none she could ask for help. It was the first time in years she tried to hold on that she realized the wall was crumbling down. The wall which akin to the life she had tried so hard to 0built.

At the same time, Leon approached her. She was wary of people like him. So, she kept her distance. However, her resolve was shattered that day.

Leon made a tempting offer. He'd give her money in exchange for pretending to be his lover. He did that so that his persistent mother would stop insisting on his marriage.

Mia, with her hands tied, was forced to accept it. Leon was an aloof and cold person. She hadn't expected much from someone like him. So, she just quietly left as soon as she fulfilled her duty to him.

She changed her number. She moved her residence far away. She thought that she'd never meet him again, yet she was wrong. Mia was forced to handle the same situation as years ago.

Her foster mother didn't survive. What about Aiden? The heart in her chest felt like it was gnawed out every time she was reminded of it.

She was afraid that history would repeat itself.