Chapter 22

Mia had been helping with the secretary's job for quite some time. She was given less work than the actual secretary, all thanks to the preferential treatment given by Leon.

Almost all of the employees had known her identity as Leon's wife.

Gossips followed her wherever she went, especially that famous fairy tale about how Mia had gotten to know Leon. It depicted how she, as a normal employee had attracted the attention of the arrogant Leon. After wooing her while also hiding their relationship, they finally eloped somewhere.

The emotionless CEO, who had a very jealous temper, then hid his wife somewhere. He was pampering her while rarely allowed her to go out.

Mia cringed at those tales, nearly couldn't hold back the urge to find a quiet place and mull over the future of humanity.

How annoying. Mia thanked God that Leon wasn't a celebrity. Otherwise, she would have ditched him the moment he spoke to her, pretending not to know him while also regard him as a mentally ill person.

Ah, Mia regretted that she didn't do that.

As she typed down something on the computer, Mia heaved a sigh of pity.

"Ahem," the familiar sound caused Mia's mouth to twitch, followed by, "Mrs ..."

"Mrs. Ford." Mia corrected before he could utter the last name Kingston.

Mia was currently seated beside the current secretary, Benson Rogen. After interacting with him for a little while, she found him as a rather odd yet diligent person.

No wonder that Leon hired him, Mia thought.

"Are you tired?" Benson looked up from his mountain of papers in front of his table. He touched his glasses as if fixing the place, a habit he had developed while working.

"No," Mia answered curtly, her cold face showed a little annoyance.

"Mr. Kingston stated that if the Mrs. King-- I mean Mrs. Ford is tired, she can rest," Benson said with a smile, not minding her cold attitude at all. He had grown used to such temper because of Leon. In his opinion, even Leon was worse.

Mia cursed him silently. He should be glad that someone helped him to do the job. Do people in this company think of her taking care of a few secretarial works as a joke? As if Leon was catering to one of her spoiled whims?

This thought was unsettling.

However, this secretary was also seemingly had his brain went haywire. Despite having that zombie-like appearance already, he still insisted on working.

"My mind keeps on thinking about work. Before I finished, I can't even sleep a wink. I think I have fallen in love with my work." He muttered with a sigh, which sounded like bullshit in Mia's ears. She wisely chose to stay silent.

"Mr. Kingston." Benson suddenly muttered, giving a respectful greeting to his superior. A moment later, Leon's figure entered the quiet office.

Leon's eyes instantly landed on Mia, who had her body jolted in surprise at the mention of Leon. She was a bit embarrassed.

"Are you here to fetch your wife?" Benson muttered, his eyes twinkling as he observed the reaction of the two. A moment later, when the tense atmosphere hung in the air still didn't dissipate, he suddenly felt like he was an unwanted third-wheeler.

"I have brought your favorite cake." Leon ignored Benson's existence and spoke to Mia gently.

Benson seemed flabbergasted as disbelief crossed his eyes. Leon's gentle tone was strange on the usually arrogant superior.

Mia forced a smile as she glanced briefly at the stunned Benson. She pretended to act enthusiastically. "Wait for me, I will come to your office in a bit."

Benson's mouth couldn't be kept shut at times. The twinkle in his eyes was apparent as if he had just enjoyed a good drama. The source of the late gossip in this company.

Mia threw him a glance with annoyance. She was hoping that Leon would walk into his office first, but that didn't happen. The man, dressed in the formal suit, still as charming as ever, didn't move. He patiently stood at the entrance door.

Mia's mouth twitched. She looked at Benson, who tried hard to focus on his work and failed, then smiled sweetly in response.

"Mr. Rogen. It seems that you have done with the report required by my husband this morning." Mia glanced at Leon to see his reaction and was startled when she noticed his surprised expression which quickly returned to normal in a split second.

She cleared her throat while pretended not to notice the lapse in Leon's emotionless face. "You seem very eager to see write down this week report, so I will leave the rest to you."

Ha, take that, Mia grumbled inwardly. You better keep that mouth of yours shut and not spread any gossip.

She didn't forget to glare at Benson as she headed to the door.

Leon immediately snaked his arms around her waist shamelessly. Mia's eyes twitched and she wanted to dodge but she instantly remembered the image they should keep.

If they failed in keeping this image, it was unknown what Leon would do. What an annoyingly sly fox.

Benson initially had a shocked expression upon hearing Mia's words and was about to protest, but seeing the couple's seemingly good mood, he decided to keep his mouth shut while grumbling inwardly.

Leon glanced at Benson and hid his smirk. That guy couldn't keep his mouth shut even if you glue his lips together, by tomorrow...

Since his mother probably had some spies in the company, it was better to maintain their romantic outward relationship.

Leon also didn't mind acting like that with Mia...

"Have you done with your work?" Leon asked as he pushed open the office door. Mia had pulled herself out of his embrace, much to his dismay.

Mia shook her head. She had snatched a few unfinished documents right away upon entering the room. She better does her job properly, pretending to be the real secretary.

It was such a lie, but Mia did that to make herself feel better. She wanted to believe that she had gotten the money from Leon due to him hiring her as a secretary and not something else.

"It's your favorite cake." He smiled with his beautiful eyes, watching as Mia's ever-present cold expression turned slightly odd.

The cake was indeed something she liked. It was made of cheese with a smooth taste which usually melted upon entering the mouth.

Mia was slightly suspicious, but she accepted it under the gaze of Leon's expectant eyes.

She was slightly in a daze, not expecting that Leon could have such an expression on his face. He resembled a child who was seeking a compliment from his parents after doing something good.

"Thank you," Mia muttered as she held the box.

Leon looked elsewhere as he went back focusing on his job. It made Mia wondered if he was embarrassed, judge by the slight flush of his face, but she couldn't figure out why. So, it was probably only Mia's imagination.

Leon was probably tired, she surmised as she sat in the designated seat prepared by Leon beforehand. She began to do her job as the secretary as she flipped through the documents.

Meanwhile, Leon stole a surreptitious glance at Mia once in a while. He seemed to be in a good mood that Mia accepted his gift easily.

Leon put down his phone after he read something on the screen. Out of nowhere, Leon suddenly told Mia with a neutral tone. "This week, you need only to come to my house once. I have other business to do."

Mia, of course, couldn't be happier with the news. "Thank you, Sir."

However, Leon's next words made her mouth twitch. She was suffused with exasperation. "It's tonight."

That was a painful reminder.