Chapter 26

Mia had taken some days of leave, excusing herself under the suspicious and curious eyes of Leon. She had been spending more time with him in his house; also getting along with Sally at some point.

In the office, she would help the secretary, doing her job, and treated it as her real one rather than her ridiculous position as Leon's hired fake lover. Admittedly, she hated it.

Mia had prepared everything to make sure that Aiden's surgery was going to be a smooth one. She didn't want to take any risks. Despite so, she was still filled with trepidation at the thought of her son undergoing surgery.

Outside the operation room, Mia, dressed in a comfortable ruffle dress, was pacing back and forth. She had even developed a new habit; biting her nail anxiously as she peered over the room tens of meters away that was separated by a wall.

She hoped that she could see what was going on inside, yet at the same time she didn't. It was a subconscious feeling of humans; they wanted to receive good news as soon as possible and if it was a bad one, they wanted to delay it for as long as possible. A person needed to prepare a heart to receive either news.

"The little one is going to be alright," Seina told her, appearing out of nowhere and holding out a bottle of water.

Mia jumped in surprise, then she glared at Seina while taking the bottle of water and gobble down a few huge gulps. Seina was surprised at this woman's change of attitude at times she was filled with anxiety.

However, Seina had to admit that she was probably going to be the same if it was her in Mia's place. Mia's cheeks bulged out slightly from the amount of water in her mouth. She gulped it down, then took a seat on the stool near the operation room. Both her hands rubbed her face.

Mia, whose emotions rarely fluctuate even if someone robbed her of her jewelry, was displaying such heartfelt emotion. Naturally, Seina was also concerned that she followed Mia's sight, glancing on the room across.

"Have you eaten?" Seina's voice rang out. "Don't skip any meal."

A box of food was handed to Mia, who sincerely thanked Seina gratefully. She didn't even care what it was inside; she just put the food in her mouth, munched on it, then swallow it down. She repeated the process a few times until she finished her meal; it tasted somewhat bitter.

A few hours has passed, yet there was no sign of the surgery being finished anytime soon. Mia took deep breaths to maintain her calm.

Aiden may seem like a healthy, energetic kid, but it was just his spirit. His body was a different matter altogether. The little boy had been afflicted with sickness ever since he was young.

There were even times when Mia had to work on multiple jobs at once to afford Aiden's medicine. She was often on the verge of breaking down, yet only Aiden managed to keep her going.

"Seina, do you want to say something?"

Seina was startled at the sudden question. She bit her lip, staring at Mia with some hesitation. She didn't want to make this woman more worried.

"That man ... is here."

Mia's pupils constricted as soon as she heard Seina's words. There was no doubt who she was referring to. For a split second, Mia was inundated by a wave of bitterness. Why can't she get a moment of rest?

"Where is he?" Mia glanced around, warily anticipating Leon to suddenly pop up out of nowhere. She had asked for a few days of leave, yet he still didn't let her go. Mia frowned in displeasure, annoyance, and a tinge of anger written on her slightly weary face.

"I met him earlier in the front gate." Seina was surprised to see the various change of expression on Mia's face. She was astonished, but that didn't wash her concern for Mia.

Mia sighed, leaning her body against the wall with resignation. She shook her head. "This hospital is big. He is probably visiting a colleague."

Seina nodded at that. She watched as Mia gradually closed her eyes.

For what seemed like a long time, a group of people dressed in white finally exited the surgery room. Mia instantly jumped, her eyes tried to glean how it was going from the expression on their faces.

She subconsciously breathed a sigh of relief seeing the doctor's tired, yet bright look. She can already guess that the operation was successful. No doctor would look so happy when they just conducted a failed surgery.

"Miss Ford?" Someone approached Mia.

She hurriedly went to approach the female doctor calling her. Listening to the explanation quite attentively, Mia was slightly emotional.

Aiden will be healthy after this, and he didn't need to endure the pain of the headache again.

"He needs to stabilize his condition first." Seina, who listened along to the doctor's explanation muttered softly. "Do you want to go eat somewhere? You can bring that little one something."

Mia thought about it and nodded. After undergoing a long time in the operation table, she was sure that Aiden would whine about being hungry the first time he opened his eyes. She should be preparing for his favorite snacks, something light and easily disgested.

"Alright." Mia stood up. The two walked together side by side.

Mia's complexion had brightened; her previous anxious lines on her face had ceased a lot. She was palpitating with an eagerness. Something she had always wanted to achieve was eventually coming true.

Leon's presence in her life turned out to be not too bad. Although Mia still despised this fellow, she admitted that she also owed him a lot due to this.

As her mind wandered, Mia looked up and accidentally found Leon standing in a hospital room along with Alastair. The door was slightly ajar that she could see some figures inside.

Mia's eyes unwittingly landed on a young woman standing beside Leon, finding her figure rather familiar. At some point, she realized that she was being rude by peeping into another patient's room uninvited.

"Seina?" She was startled when she found that Seina was similarly staring at a familiar figure inside unblinkingly. With the eyelashes faintly trembled. Mia creased her eyebrow, trying to remember who this woman was. It was the second time that Seina had displayed such a reaction, unlike her usual composed self.

"Mia, do you know her?" A grim voice asked. It was tinged with a coldness that Mia's mind jolted in wonder.

Seina must have read the flash of confusion in her face. Mia looked at the young woman again.

She was wearing a dress in dull, yellow color with a simple design. The temperament of a kind and refined woman was clear from the way she behaved.

Mia shook her head as the confusion swirling in her eyes. Smiling stiffly, she sighed. "Let's go."

"Wife?"

Leon's deep voice suddenly rang from inside as he looked at Mia. It was unknown when did he notice that Mia was there.