Arrived at Base

-Y/N POV-

3 weeks later

"Y/N?  Wake up"  someone spoke, lightly shaking me awake.  I groaned a bit as I woke, peeling my eyes open, and blinking quite a few times before my vision cleared.  I look to who was waking me, and instantly recognise the face of a young man, I'd say in his 40s, the one who had recruited me from the Spartans into some sort of counter terrorist superunit.

"H-hey Harry"  I groaned, reaching down to return my seat to its upright position.

"Seems you got some much needed rest?"  Harry asked me.  I smirked.

"Something like that.  I'll tell ya, these flashbacks are getting seriously annoying, to say the least"  I replied.  Harry chuckled, and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"Everyone here on the team has a rocky past, Y/N.  Hell, even me.  Not gonna get into it though"  he smirked.

"Would I want to know?"  I asked.  He chuckled in response.

"Probably not.  Anyway, you'll come to find out that everyone here is as friendly as can be.  That being said, don't go pissing 'em off.  Some of them tend to get a bit hot headed."  I chuckled at this, recalling some of my old squadmates who were like that.  The thought of them made me sad again, and I sighed, looking at the window as our plane was taxied to the gate.  "You're squadmates?"  Harry asked me.

"If that stupid Prime Minister had allowed us to fire sooner, they would be here right now!"  I growled at the window, my fist clenching hard.

"We can't change the past, Y/N, but we can prepare for the future.  That's what Rainbow is all about, preparing for the future, to stop terrorism at any cost."  Harry spoke, in a calm tone.  I felt myself relax a bit, and opened my fist to reveal nail marks in my palm.  How hard did I have my fist clenched!?  I took a deep breath.

"I know that, Harry, trust me I do"  I replied, unbuckling my seatbelt when the icon came on to do so, and opened the overhead storage door to grab my carry-on.  "It's just...I wish I could've done more, ya know?"

"Y/N you did all you could do.  Brazilian officials recognize that you wiped out 95% of the renegade forces on your anger spree.  To them, you're a hero"  I sighed.

"But at what cost?"  I asked, quietly.  We walked to the terminal in silence, making a quick stop at the restroom, and the baggage carousel, before heading out into the crisp, damp, Herefordshire air, and making our way to the parking lot, where Harry's Volvo S80 sat waiting.

"You can just put your stuff in the backseat.  It's only about 45 minutes to base"  Harry informed me.  I nodded, and packed my bags into his car, before hopping in the shotgun seat, only to have a steering wheel in my face.

"Uuuuhhhh..."  I got out as Harry chuckled.

"Welcome to England, Y/N, where everything you know about driving is reversed".  I laughed along a bit as I hopped out of the driver seat and got into the shotgun seat.  Staring up the car, Harry pulled out of the airport parking lot, and we began the drive to Hereford base.

-45 minutes later-

"Welcome to base"  Harry spoke, pulling into the base's parking lot.  The ride here was uneventful, just some small talk here and there, and a lot of radio music and talk shows.  As we pulled into the parking lot, I noticed a lot of different types of cars and other stuff sitting in the lot.  A dirt bike, some kind of off-road jeep-looking thing, a couple Humvees, a bunch of sedans, a pair of F-150s, a Silverado, and a car wrapped in a protective tarp thing, sporting the Porsche logo on the front.

"Who's Prosche?"  I asked as we pulled into the parking space closest to base.

"Hm?  Oh, that's Caveira's.  You'll meet her soon"  Harry promised, helping me unload my baggage, and leading me into base.  We walked down the halls, passing a few people along the way.  Most of them seemed friendly like Harry had said, giving me smiles and friendly waves.  The ones that didn't were either on the phone, or seemed to be pissed in general.  We kept walking until Harry stopped us in front of a door labeled 'Six'.  "Welcome to my office"  Harry spoke, opening up a door, and allowing me to walk in.  It definitely had a classic Noir feel, with the old wooden desk and bookshelves, and leather office chair.  Even had some blinds covering the back window.

"So, you double as The Continental Op or?"  I asked, setting my bags down as Harry had allowed me to.  He chuckled.

"Nope, just find Noir to be fascinating reads"  he admitted, sitting at his desk.  He grabbed the phone sitting at his desk and picked it up.  I heard the sound of it being picked up over a speaker mounted in the office's ceiling.

"Would operator IQ please report to my office, and DON'T gear up!  Please and thank you"  he spoke into the intercom, and set the phone back down into its cradle.  "You know"  he spoke to me, smiling.  "I don't usually go to retrieve a recruit myself.  I usually send one or two of my operators to do that"

"So...why'd you come to get me?"  I asked, cocking my head.

"Because"  he replied, simply.  "I've been watching you for quite some time.  As in, keeping tabs on your military career.  You have serious skill, Y/N, and I like that.  I wanted to be the first to meet you".  I'll admit, I was flattered.  Sure, I received praise from my old commanding officers before, but coming from Harry felt more...genuine, for whatever reason.  Before I could respond to his compliment, there was a knock on the door.  "Enter!"  Harry called.  The door opened, and my brain stopped.  There stood a beautiful girl, with short, blonde hair, and bright blue eyes.  She wore a green tank-top, and black training shorts, and sported a pair of aviators on her head.

"What's up Harry?"  the woman asked, not yet noticing me.  I picked up on the German accent, which just added to me being flattered by her.

"First off, welcome back Monika.  I hope your time off went well?"  Harry asked her.

"I seriously needed it, thank you Harry"  the woman replied.  Harry chuckled.

"I knew you did.  Anyway, I hate to put you right back to work, but we have a new recruit in need of a base tour"  he informed.  The woman, Monika I presumed, nodded and smiled.

"I'd be happy to.  They here yet?"

"Turn around"  Harry chuckled.  Monika turned around and locked eyes with me.  I watched her study me for a second, and saw as a smile tugged at the corner of her mouth.  She then approached me, and held out her hand.

"Monika Weiss.  IQ on the field"  she introduced.  I took her hand and shook it.

"Y/N L/N"  I replied.  "Blade on the field"  Monika chuckled a bit.

"Why do they call you that?"  she asked.  I smiled.

"My Kryo Blades.  Basically swords sharp enough to cut through almost every known material.  And I can tamper their sharpnesses"  I replied, earning a whistle of impress from Monika.

"Okay, those I'll need to take a look at to believe"  she chuckled, turning back to Harry.  "I take it there's a welcoming ceremony?"  she asked him.

"Ceremony?"  I asked.

"When the current mission team returns, then yes, there will be."  Harry informed.

"Status?"  Monika asked.

"On their way back.  Mission went smoothly, we suffered no injuries or losses."  Harry smiled.

"That's great to hear"  Monika smiled.  Harry nodded.

"Indeed.  Now off you two go, I need to coordinate their return.  And Y/N, you can pick your bags up after you know your room.  Monika will show you that as well."  Harry tossed me a key from his desk drawer.  I caught it, and looked at it.  It was a silver key, with the numbers 66 on it, presumably the room number.  Monika and I saluted Harry, and left his office.