Chapter 11

Bri's POV

I just killed somebody, I realize once I pass another tree that I'm pretty sure I've passed about six times already. I killed somebody and I'm lost.

I pass the same tree again when I hear leaves crunching. I crouch down behind the tree and peak through the bush to see Elizabeth walking back with a dress in her hand which I'm guessing is for me.

Grabbing a thick tree branch, I get up and run for her. She spins around and I hit her right in the middle of the face. That was meant for the back of your head. Elizabeth groans and falls to the ground, unconscious.

•••

Jessica's POV

It's already Monday and Bri hasn't woken up yet and I'm wondering if I should call her mom. Kai tells me I should but I know she'll be done the story soon so there's no point of doctors treating her for a coma that's not even real, but it she doesn't come to school, the principal will call her mom.

"Am I coming to your school?" Kai asks me.

"Your parents aren't here to admit you to the school," I answer. I look over at him and his eyes are filling with tears. "What's wrong?" I ask him.

"My parents died when the dragons attacked. I have no family."

I walk over to him and kiss him passionately on the lips. "I'm your family now."

•••

Bri's Moms POV

"Hello?" I say, picking up the house phone.

"Hi, it's Lakeside high school calling. Brianna was absent today. Were you aware of that?"

"No, I wasn't. Are you sure that she wasn't there?"

"Yes we're sure. Is she with you now?"

"No," I say before hanging up.

I dial Jessica's number and her mother answers. "Hi! Is Brianna there?"

"No. She went to school with Jessica."

I sigh in relief. Maybe they did get the attendance wrong. "Thank you."

Just to make sure, I find Jessica's cell number in our address book and call her. "Hello?" She says after a few rings.

"Did Brianna go to school today?"

"Oh hi! Um.... I'll call you back. I'm in class," she says, hanging up.

•••

Jessica calls at lunch. "No. She won't wake up. I think something's wrong again," she tells me.

"How long?" I almost scream into the phone.

"Since... Friday."

I hang up on her and call 911 telling them to go to Jessica's house.

•••

Jessica's POV

"You did the right thing telling her, Adelyn," Kai says, once the ambulance pulls out of our driveway.

"My name's Jessica," I say, turning around to face him.

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"My name's Jessica, not Adelyn."

"But... I don't understand. Why did you say it was Adelyn?"

Should I tell him? "Follow me."

I bring him up into my room, and we both sit on the small sofa. "I said my name was Adelyn because I didn't want Livvy to know who I really was in the book world."

"Why not?"

"Because she was my idol. I wanted to be like her. To be her. It's creepy I know."

He gestures for me to continue and I sigh in annoyance, not wanting to say.

"I use to be a nobody," I tell him. "Nobody noticed me except the bullies. But one day I made it to the top. I lost weight, got my braces out and I started eating healthier and soon I was pretty, no longer an ugly stalker."

Frowning, Kai hugs me. "I bet you were always beautiful," he says, making me smile, but I walk over to my closet and pull out a picture of me from grade eight. "See, beautiful."

"Can we go somewhere?" I ask him, wanting to change the subject. "Like on a date?"

"Sure. I don't know anywhere around here though."

I give him my phone and tell him to pick out somewhere nice. He scrolls through a list, reading their descriptions for a while before he stops on one. "How about this?"

I grab my phone and look. Roller skating. I smile. "Okay. Do you know how?"

"No. Can you teach me?"

"Yes," I say, grabbing his hand and my car keys.