Chapter Six

Adelina's POV

I hear our hotel door shut and turn to Luka who was watching both me and Santiago cautiously. Neither one of the two of us was mad. I don't think we can actually get mad. But we weren't okay with what he did. None of us were okay when someone goes and does something unplanned and he went against a plan we made years ago.

"Luka, what were you thinking?" I know he was only thinking about our family and being with them again but we can't. He also promised to contact them again and we couldn't do that. As Unseen Nightmares, it is prohibited to associate with mafias and other underground groups. The leaders of the organization don't want us to be biased and want to make sure no information is spread about the organization to outsiders. It would also put them in too much danger.

"You saw their faces, how could I let them walk away. I can't keep doing this."

I sigh at Luka's words, "It's what's best Lu. They stay safe as long as we stay away." As usual, Santiago watches us silently.

"We are one of the best teams of assassins in the world, we can protect them."

"We don't even know who is after us and therefore them," Santiago tries to remind him of the countless times we've had this argument.

Luka throws a vase across the room and starts pacing a hand gripping his hair, "I know that. But I can't. We've killed hundreds, maybe even thousands of people for what? Money? There's no point to this. I want to go home to our family and you guys do too."

"Of course we do Luka but we know all the reasons we can't do what we want." I sigh and pull him into an awkward hug, I've lost any ability I had to comfort over the years. "Let's just get some sleep and figure it out tomorrow, okay?" He nods as he pulls away and heads to one of the rooms.

I glance at Santiago who was already looking at me, "In some ways, he's right Addy but we can't let any feelings get in the way of this. We do what's best and that means staying away."

I nod, Santiago may often stay quiet however when he talks he always has something to say. "How are we going to get Luka to understand that?"

"I don't know Ads," He looks as conflicted as I am. We both love Luka and want to protect him and forcing him away will hurt him but reuniting with our family has far too many risks. We both head to our rooms to get some sleep for the night, however, I doubt any of us would sleep much. We never did.

At five I gave up on the notion of sleep and got up to get some work done. We didn't have a plan for our next job considering that we just completed a mission and then worked the ball however as one of the more popular assassin teams we had to stay on top of requests sent to us and also keep an eye on the general missions board to make sure we don't miss anything. As an Unseen Nightmare team, we are required to take a certain amount of jobs and a majority of the required jobs are ones that requested your team specifically. General jobs were just that; general missions to keep us busy and for the smaller assassin teams; jobs to help boost name recognition and income.

Our team always had a lot of requests, not that we minded, so I had to go through and decide which ones we weren't interested in. Those jobs would then be either put on the general mission board or assigned to a different team. The rest of the jobs would have to be spaced out and planned to give clients a timeline however most people who hire us know that missions take a while to plan and complete so they give us missions that are months away so we can complete them on time. The last-minute missions always have to pay more to get a team to sacrifice their time to fast-track a mission. That's why so many liked hiring The Aces, they always sped through missions so they were always taking the last-minute jobs.