Chapter Sixteen

Emmalyn's POV

    I choose to grace Nacht with my presence with one of my most prettiest dresses and also make Emilio and Ze change into pretty clothes. Last night we got the request from the combined mafia about the mission the Italian co-don asked us about and I hoped to be able to talk to Nacht about being allowed to take the long-term mission as well as continue our short-term ones. We typically avoid long-term missions due to the lack of daily action and bloodshed leading us to get bored but this one seemed interesting and we would look into taking it if we get to continue our usual work as well.

    Nacht worked in The Unseen Nightmares' main headquarters, it was like a typical office building with a lot more security and a large underground base that many don't know about. Nacht was the CEO of the company for those who don't know about the underground world. Their assistant was narrowly avoiding glaring at us by aiming it at her computer scene, like every employee in the building the assistant used to be an assassin but most are now retired or were taken off the Nightmare's roster for various reasons. The assistant was removed for gossiping it wasn't enough to get her killed but giving out any information about missions is forbidden and not something the business side of The Nightmares would allow. She's very rude if Nacht wouldn't get mad she would be dead a long time ago.

    When Nacht opens the door Emilio, Ezequiel, and I stand and follow their gesture to come into their office. I twirl my hair once they close the door and Ze and Lio both sit while I stay standing. Nacht sits at their desk and looks the three of us over and sighs. I frown, "We grace you with our wonderful presence and you sigh and frown at us." I then pout, "And that horrible assistant of yours was glaring at us, you should give us permission to kill her, we deserve it."

"My apologies for her behavior but you cannot kill her, she is pregnant Corazon."

I frown, "So?"

Nacht just shakes their head, "Let's discuss the reason I called you here."

I beam, "Lets!"

"Why were you three at the Italian, Spanish, Russian mafia base without reason?"

I shrug and wave it off, "They did us a favor then we did them one, no biggie."

They stared at us and sighed, "Other Unseen Nightmare board members and higher-ups aren't very happy with the three of you. They think you are being far too reckless and soon even the amount of jobs your team brings in won't be enough to keep them from pushing you out of the organization. They will require you three to train the next specialized team and then like your mentors trained you, those three new assassins will learn until they can kill you."

    Unknown to most The Aces was a legacy team started back in the origins of The Unseen Nightmares, the strongest team would be pushed into retirement where they would train the next team to take over for them. Then it was simply a matter of survival of the fittest: the newly trained would gain skill and strength while the old team began to die and then would finally be killed by their successors. We were the youngest team to have beaten our mentors and we will not be the youngest to be forced into retirement either.

    I pull out a poisoned blade and twirl it around, "We're being watched?"

    Nacht shrugs, "You all have trackers implanted yours are currently reporting your location to all the Unseen Nightmare higher-ups although they don't know what exactly your missions are which is how I saved you three today. You must stay away from reckless killings and meetings with mafias outside of business. I also know you three and The Roses are close. You should also make sure to continue to keep your relationship quiet. Many of the Unseen Nightmares see your two team's alliance as a threat against the organization and they will advocate to keep The Roses and terminate your team."

The guys nodded but I paused in thought, "What would happen if we killed them all?"

Nacht shook their head, "It would lead to The Nightmare's collapse but even with your three's combined abilities you wouldn't be able to the minute one of us higher-ups is killed the rest follow our protocols for safety until the assassin or assassins are caught." I open my mouth but they cut me off, "You three also have no protection if The Nightmares collapse Corazon just play by the rules for a while until this blows over. I believe that this is mostly my fault for allowing you to cause violence at the ball."

The memories of the wonderful event fly through my mind and I beam and bounce on my toes, "Oh but that night was so wonderful!"

I wanted to continue and try to get permission to take a long-term mission and everything however Nacht shakes their head and cuts in, "Just please-" all of a sudden Nacht collapses. The three of us exchange a glance as she begins to vomit blood and I sigh, Nacht was poisoned and it wasn't by me.

We don't bother trying to save them when someone in our line of work is poisoned, it's not to injure, it's to kill and we also don't believe in healing. If someone isn't strong enough to protect themselves then they deserve to die.

At least things will be getting interesting soon. 

Adelina's POV

    We arrive back home and greet our family in their living room and get the rundown on what happened with The Aces. Something felt off but I brushed it off as I listened to the events. We knew their plan after our brothers ran into them after their mission, however, the call from Nacht was a bit unexpected. Unlike The Aces, we cut out the trackers ages ago carrying them with us but also allowing us to leave them somewhere to do what we wish without the possibility of any Unseen Nightmare personnel knowing our actions. My guess was that the trackers reported them here and Nacht wanted to make sure The Aces hadn't eliminated another mafia.

    Leone was busy giving his animated rendition of The Aces interrogation session when our phones went off. A text from an Unseen Nightmare official 'Nacht has been killed by The Aces'.

    The three of us exchange a glance knowing only trouble is to come from this whether The Aces killed Nacht or not.

--------

Thanks for reading, voting, and commenting

Sorry for the short chapter, but this is the beginning of the story's main plot, and I liked where this chapter ended.

Let me know what you think will happen next or if there is anything you would like to see.

Also, who is your favorite character right now?

Feel free to message me I am will to talk about anything

-Lovefire