Chapter Eighteen

Adelina's POV

Our family didn't see our concern from the text thanks to the years of training we went through. Leone continues telling his story of the interrogation until Valentino cuts him off and the two got into an argument about something. I signal my teammates and then wait to catch my father's and uncles' eyes.

Once I do I turn and head to the office they share for meetings and let myself in. The three men walk in soon after all a bit concerned and anxious but I hold a finger up waiting for Luka and Santi. Once they walk into the room and close the door I turn to my father and uncles.

"Nacht has been killed." In some ways, I guess the three of us should feel some type of grief or sadness about the news but I don't think I would even recognize the emotion if I did feel it. Nacht was a trainer for new assassins before she moved up. She was one of the people who trained the three of us and continued to mentor us over the years, one of our few constants in life. Now she is gone.

"What does that mean exactly?" Lots of things.

Luka shrugs, "They are blaming The Aces for the death."

My father shakes his head still believing in the children who died years ago, "They wouldn't have done that."

Luka shrugs, all three of us knowing better than them, "They might've, but whether they did or not isn't the issue here."

"But if they are innocent-" Uncle Volkov, desperately hopeful, ignores the realities of the world we survive in.

"It won't matter, there won't be a real investigation, even if there is, it's likely there won't be any evidence. Every Nightmare knows how to kill without being caught. It's basically assassins 101 for us and The Aces like everyone else excel at it."

"Then why do they think The Aces did it?"

"They probably did if we are being real here just because they are good at not being caught doesn't mean they put their skills to use. They don't care about that, part of them thrives off the danger."

"But if they didn't-" I shake my head at my father.

Santiago cuts in moving out of the background, "The leadership of The Unseen Nightmares has had their problems with The Aces since they began working. Nacht has protected them from a lot in the recent years as their actions became more reckless. The other members aren't happy with them and may just use this to get rid of them."

"But, they're the best team they have, everyone knows that."

Luka rolls his eyes, "Yeah and they don't follow all the new bullshit rules the higher-ups try to push on us. They kill without reason, they're uncontrollable. That's the problem."

"So what happens now?" Only Manuel seems to accept who The Aces are now.

I shrug, "The leadership of The Nightmares will be passed to Cerveau, someone who has been known to have a problem with The Aces. Fortunately, the leadership won't officially begin until tomorrow."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning, that he doesn't have authority to do anything until tomorrow therefore The Aces should've been able to get out of headquarters without trouble." I shrug, "They should be in the wind by now."

"So we bring them here."

Santiago snorts, "We have no way to contact them right now. If they are smart they will ditch everything Nightmare related."

"So how do we help?"

I glace at my team, "The three of us go. We may have ways to get in touch with them but we can't bring them back here or anywhere mafia-related. The Nightmares have a big reach and unlike Nacht, many don't trust Cerveau, that being said if they believe The Aces did kill Nacht many will go after them on their own."

"Nacht, was that trusted?"

I nod, "They were a floater for assassin teams, their own was eliminated early on and they basically lost any identity apart from being Nacht the assassin but unlike many floaters they didn't lose themselves in killing they helped others and moved their way up."

"I'm sorry for your loss."

We nod at the three men, we didn't feel anything but they didn't need to know that.
"Don't contact us, let us reach you. The Aces are going to be hard to find and enough people know of our two teams' friendly relationship so there will be people looking at us too. It will put you in danger if they find out our true relations. Are we clear?"

They seem conflicted but they nod and give us their word. We say goodbye to the rest of our family and leave the mansion going to one of the few places we co-own with The Aces close enough to the headquarters they may show up at.

--------

Thanks for reading, voting, and commenting

I'm back home and I swear the chapters are about to get longer but I wanted to put this chapter in for some background info on what's to come

-Lovefire