●︎ 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚𝙧 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙣𝙞𝙨

His mother stood before him with such a radiant smile filled with such love and sorrow. It had been so long since he last saw her. But this was different from the drug induced hallucinations of his youth. Those dreams were always so muddied with green and he could barely open his eyes even in his sleep. Then his mother's hair always seemed so different from her natural color; her eyes never seemed bright enough; and her face sometimes was scarred and blackened by the flames that destroyed their lives. 

But this was different.

This was perfect. 

She looked so serene. She looked so warm. He knew she was sad. But he didn't understand why.

Her arms were outstretched to him, and she was calling his name. Mortimer was sure he was crying. He didn't have a strong enough heart not to. So he ran to her. He ran on the nothingness of where they existed. There was nothing else but them. He didn't know what was happening, he felt as if he were sleepwalking, but he couldn't find the strength within himself to question it. 

But as he ran there came a thundering within his chest as if something were being forced into his body. It felt as if piles of coin suddenly was heaving him down to the ground. His mother had disappeared now, and the light surrounding him grew faint. The weight in his chest increased and he screamed, unable to inhale. 

Was this death? Was this the last thing he was to feel? Why?

Mortimer screamed again as he felt the ground slip under his touch, and he fell for what felt like an eternity. He refused to open his eyes fearing that the sight of the ground would somehow make him plummet faster. But again his senses were fooled, his body thrown around like a doll, and he choked as his descent stopped immediately. Something held him by his ankle and a rumbling chuckle erupted in his mind. 

Oh, I forgot how cowardly mortals can be. Now, now, little-half elf, there's no need to shake like that. 

Mortimer threw his eyes open with a resounding shout, kicking his legs furiously in one brave attempt to free himself. "Unhand me! What is this! Who are you?" Whatever it was obliged and dropped him, continuing his freefall for yet another eternity, but once again he was caught by his ankle--harsh enough for him to hear his bones cracking under the strain. He gasped in pain. 

She liked to think you were the smart one. I guess even my Calypso can be wrong. 

Mortimer's breath stopped. 

Calypso? No. No, no, no, no, no. 

"Asinis?" he whispered. 

Ooh, good! So you are more intelligent than others! Good! Good! 

He dropped Mortimer again and repeated the process, this time breaking his leg in the process. Asinis laughed over Mortimer's screams.  

You really should be thanking me. I'm giving you another chance to...accomplish whatever it is you mortals want in life. Money? Glory? Women? Now...

Something sharp grabbed Mortimer's arms and began to pull. 

I know this process can be painful for the more milder of races, but it will all be done in due time. Now, now don't struggle! A price was paid and now I get to change your death! Don't forget to thank Calypso once this is over. 

Mortimer didn't even register the snapping of his limbs or the tearing of his flesh. Perhaps he went deaf from fear or pain, but soon he only could see a large, black and red maw opening miles below him. 

His freefall began again.