━━━━ [ T W O ] the attack on pinesgrove

Session two begins in the medical tent where Harrison is resting and still very, very blind. The party begins asking him about anything he knows or remembers about the Beast and what happened to him. Cedric tries to understand why Harrison had a silver plated sword, but Harrison is unable to remember anything after entering the forest to hunt the Beast. He tries his best to help the group, but in the end he can only warn them that some sort of attack is bound to happen and that no one in Pinesgrove is safe. 

After hearing this, the party tries to persuade Mortimer to join the party for at least a little while to try and get ready to defend the village, but he refuses because of his duty to care for Harrison. The two are obviously close and deeply care for one another. 

To try and think of some way to protect Pinesgrove, Calypso, Cedric, and Lorelei head to the militia house to speak to Captain Mara Pine. Upon speaking to her and noticing the engraving in her polished armor, they realize that she is the human daughter of Mayor Pine—of course, the adopted daughter of the mayor. They explain to Mara about the grave situation the village is up against, and Mara asks the more martially trained folks in the party to train some of her newer recruits to prepare because a lot of her well-trained men went missing after trying to hunt down the Beast. Cedric and Calypso share a few nice moments with training a specific group of young men and a kid who demanded that he fight to protect everyone, but they then go back to Mayor Pine to ask what to do. 

A funny moment ensues with the mayor casting silence targeted on Lorelei to shut her the hell up after she tried to be snarky with him like she was to basically everyone else, but she continued to aggressively mouth insults and complaints to him while trying to bang her fists on his desk. Pine gives them permission to prepare the militia in any way they see fitting, but he asks for the party to not panic the citizens of Pinesgrove. After all, it was the day of the annual Harvest Festival that they had been preparing for weeks. 

To prepare, they gather supplies like potions and such, they arm the militia as best as they can, and then they check in on Harrison and Mortimer who are still both in the medical tent. Lorelei pulls Mortimer away for a moment to speak and apologize about burning part of their library, and to repay the damages she gives him a beautiful ad expensive engagement ring. Out of his element, confused, and a bit panicked, Mortimer is...Mortimer...

After reassuring him that the ring is simply to repay damages, Lorelei pulls the conversation away to the eventual attack on the village. Finally, she convinces to aid Mortimer and the others with his skills as a wizard during the battle that is to come. He, though still reluctant, agrees. 

Hours pass as the village grows quiet and empty. The militia orders the people to stay inside, much to their dismay and outcries, but eventually all that guard the streets and the border of the village are the militia, Cedric, Lorelei, Calypso, Mara Pine and her right hand man Hamilton. The sun eventually sets and an uneasy and cold darkness crawls over the lands. As the full moon rises, the starts dotting the darkened sky, distant howls erupt from the forest.