●︎ 𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙣𝙖𝙢𝙚 𝙞𝙨 𝙖𝙢𝙞𝙩𝙮

Irene couldn't remember the last time her husband had been so late to bed. The man was a stickler for being on time, and he was rarely late to return to their chamber to rest. After all, things had been very exhausting for the Amity family in that time. With Irene pregnant again, there wasn't much she could do to help around the house like before—despite the reprimands from the maids who said it was not the lady's job to clean up after herself. Much of her time was spent looking after Sebastian and Aveline, helping with their studies, making sure they were being fed a proper diet, and dressing them. Sebastian ardently believed he could dress himself.

Atlys was beginning to return to the manor later than usual, his hair always pulled out of his sweaty face as he climbed from the carriage back into the house. His eyes always held such a level of exhaustion, but as soon as his children would race down the stairs, he expertly disguised his face and pulled on a mask of elation and childish youth. Irene would watch from atop the stairs as he would lift his daughter in the air as he squealed in delight, Sebastian laughing loudly as Murielle would scold him for wearing his shoes in the house.

Irene's heart hurt to watch him wear such a ploy.

"You've been staying up later, dear," she said, fingers combing gently through his hair as he sat at his desk, ink running from his quill as he tore another paper apart. She kissed his head and felt him relax under her touch. With a kiss to his temple, Irene brought his hands away from his work and took his arms to wrap around her body. They stayed there in a light embrace in an affectionate silence, thumbs tracing each other like calming ritual spells.

"I know," he eventually mumbled. "I know. I'm sorry."

"I'm your wife. You're supposed to confide in me."

Atlys smiled and rested his head against her stomach. He always wondered if their children could hear his pulse in return when he would listen for theirs. "You're right. As always. It's just that...things have felt so different. I'm on edge. I can't explain it."

Irene knew what he meant despite his frustration in his own explanation. Atlys had been on edge for a few months now ever since that one mission. Whatever this curse was, Atlys was trying his hardest to find it and deal with it before it could affect his family.

Irene sighed lightly, cupping her husband's cheek as he looked up to her. "You can't keep on like this. If you spend too much time away from home, the children will get nosy. And then anxious. You already said Bacchus is looking into this for you."

"Yes, but Bax—"

"Atlys."

The man faltered. "You're right." He smiled again. "You always are."

"I know."

He took her hand and kissed it before standing up to hug her again. While resting his head atop his wife's, he sighed and breathed, "I'll be leaving tomorrow morning to meet up with the others. Amoux found a devil on the outskirts of a neighboring town. She says it's been burning the harvest and the cattle."

"Why can't Amoux handle this? Fire is her specialty. Besides, if Garion is there with her, surely one won't be lethal on their own. They're working you to death."

Atlys stalled in thought. "I..." He looked down to his wife who furrowed her brows. "That's true. Amoux is certainly capable of taking care of this herself. I'll send a message in the morning."

Irene's eyes twinkled. "Good man. Now," she patted his chest, "off to bed. I can feel your sleepiness in your arms. Come here. Get over here!"

Atlys barked a laugh and fell onto the bed to wrap his arms around her, pulling her tight in content.