One

Margret

Margret

         I rode in the truck next to Eugene with the rest of the soldiers.
I hadn't really formally met anyone besides the other medics and the nurses.
A solider with brown eyes and hair smirked and winked at me, pushing his hair out of his face.
I furrowed my eyebrows and glanced at Eugene.

"Come on man," another solider shoved the one.

"Hi there doll, I don't know if we've met before? I'm Joseph Liebgott, but you can call me Joe." He smiled and held out his hand.

"Margaret Protch," I smiled and shook his hand. I leaned back into my seat.

"So Margaret what's a dame like you doing out here on the front lines?" He pulled out a cigarette and lit it.

"I'm a medic," I nodded looking at the handsome man.

"Cigarette?" He held out the box, I nodded. He handed me one and tossed me the lighter.
I lit it and we stopped at the base. I hopped out of the back of the truck. I started my way to the barracks, then a strong arm went around my shoulder.

"So, Mags Wanna grab dinner with me?" He nodded towards the mess hall.

"Yeah, just let me clean up first. I'll meet you at the doors." I smiled and walked towards my barracks.

"See yeah there Doll," he waved taking the cigarette out of his mouth. I smiled and walked into my barracks heading to the shower.

    I came out of my barracks with my brown hair tied up in a bandana. I had on semi-clean OD's.
I walked to the mess hall and crossed my arms waiting for Joe.
I smiled as he walked over in a white shirt and khaki pants.

"Hey doll, you came." He smirked putting his arm around me. We walked into the mess hall and over to where they were serving food.
We both grabbed trays as we were served the nasty, make shift rations.
We walked over to a table in the corner. He sat down across from me, I crossed one leg over the other. I grabbed my canteen and took a drink.

"I got this too Mags," he pulled out a flask and took a drink.

"Can I have some?" I asked. He nodded and handed me the flask. I took a drink as he started eating his food.

"So what brought you to the army?" He asked taking the flask.

"I wanted to help people, my grandpa was a medic in the First World War. My grandma was also a nurse." I smiled, "You?"

"Volunteered, I'm Jewish so I had a personal connection to the war." He nodded.

"I like that," I smiled taking a bite of the food.

"My parents were immigrants from Poland so I was first generation, I speak Polish and German." He smiled looking at me.

"That's cute," I giggled and took another drink of water.

"Got a man at home waiting for you?" He asked.

"Nope, haven't dated anyone since year nine." I nodded poking at the food.

"Neither do I," he smiled, "What'd you do for work?"

"Nurse," I nodded, "You?"

"Taxi driver, you meet all kind of interesting people doing that." He nodded.

"Ready for shipping out tomorrow?" I asked him as I finished up my food and drank the rest of my water.

"Yep, but you're not allowed to get hurt. I don't want the nazi's shooting at you." He sighed looking at me.

"What about you? You're the one that's actually fighting." I smiled and took another drink from his flask.

"Don't worry about me Doll," he smiled and yawned growing tired from the extensive day.

"I'll walk you back to your barracks," he picked up my tray and giving them back to the mess hall staff. He held my hand as we walked out and he lit a cigarette. I hummed and leaned into him as it was cold out. He switched his hand for an arm around me.
We walked in silence until we got to the barracks," I let go of him and looked up at him.

"See you tomorrow Joe," I smiled up at him.

"See you in the trucks Mags," he took the cigarette out of his mouth and kissed the top of my head.
I waved as he walked off.
It was nice to have a new friend.