Twenty-one

Joseph

It was the Eighth day of Hanukah and I was so excited to spend it with Maggie and Eliza.
I wrapped my arms around Maggie as I helped her cook Loukoumades. It was her grandmothers' recipe passed down.
Maggie was pregnant with twins and we were beyond excited for it.

"Yeah Joe?" She smiled as she pulled the pastries out of the oil.

"I just am so happy," I kissed her neck.

"Me too," she sighed and dipped more of them in.
I rested my head on top of hers, I hummed to the holiday music the vinyl was spinning.
Eliza cried from her high chair and I sighed picking her up.

"What is it Eliza hun?" I asked her with a smile. She was getting so big. She was eight months old now, she babbled and pulled at my shirt.

"Yeah? You think mama should take a break and pay attention to us." I asked her knowing she didn't understand.

"I'm almost done," Maggie sighed. I smiled at Maggie and kissed her cheek. She finished and turned off the stove and let the oil cool while she cleaned up the pastry mess.
Once she was done I untied her apron and threw it in the wash.

I laid on the floor with Eliza and Maggie sat against the couch resting her hand on her stomach.

"Soon enough you're going to be having to put my shoes on my feet for me." Maggie giggled.

"Yeah, I bet," I smiled as Eliza crawled over to me. I peppered her little face in kisses as Maggie watched us.

"You go see your mama?" I sat up on my knees and pointed to Maggie. Eliza babbled and crawled over to her.

"Ooooh! Look at you go Eliza." Maggie picked her up and gave her raspberries. I giggled watching them play.

"You're so cute," I kissed her cheek.

"Oh, we forgot to light the menorah!" Maggie sighed handing me Eliza as she got up. I picked up Eliza and got up. Maggie picked up the lighter from the drawer and we grabbed the candles. We set them up and lit them.

"Happy Hanukah," Maggie smiled and kissed my cheek.

"Wait! I got you something!" I smiled and handed Eliza to her.

"Really?" She perked up, "I got you something but it's small."

"That's okay sweetheart," I kissed her cheek and ran upstairs to our room where I grabbed the velvet box.
I walked back downstairs and handed it to her.
She opened it revealing the silver necklace with a heart pendant. It had our names on it and our birthstones.

"Oh my god Joe..." she smiled down at the necklace.

"I hope you like it," I smiled at her and took Eliza back.

"I love it, how much did this cost? Please tell me you didn't spend a lot!?" She looked down at it.

"Maggie it's fine," I assured her. She went up to our room to get my gift. She returned with a small wrapped box and handed it to me.
I unwrapped it and pulled out the engraved keychain. I smiled reading it, "drive safe I love you- Maggie." I ran my finger over the engraving and hugged her. Eliza babbled as she was squashed in between our hug. I giggled and pulled away bouncing Eliza in my arms.

"Thank you so much, Maggie," I kissed her cheek.

"Oh yeah let's eat before the food gets cold." She sighed walking over to the stove.
We were right where we needed to be.