Eighteen

Third Person POV. It's not the end of Maggie and Joe's story yet. Just where the show ended.

       All the boys and Margaret had gathered around to play baseball. They had nothing better to do, Maggie sat leaned up against a Jeep as Joe played on third.

"Come on PeeWee let's get him!" Bull yelled.

*third person speaking.*

"Buck Comptan came back to see the company to let us know that he was all right. He became a prosecutor in Los Angeles. He convicted Sirhan Sirhan in the murder of Robert Kennedy and was later appointed to the California court of appeals."

"David Webster became a writer for The Saturday Evening Post and Wall Street Journal. Later wrote a book about sharks. In 1961 he went out on the ocean alone and was never seen again."

"Johnny Martin would return to his job at the railroad and then start his own construction company. He split his time between Arizona and a place in Montana."

"George Luz became a handyman in Providence, Rhode Island. As a testament to his character 1600 people attended his funeral in 1998."

"Doc Roe died in Louisiana in 1998. Hed been a construction contractor."

"Frank Perconte returned to Chicago and worked a postal route as a mailman."

"Joe Liebgott and Maggie Protch returned to San Francisco where they would have a real wedding and have all the kids they both wanted. Of course returning to Eliza. Maggie would work as a nurse and Joe drove his cab."

"Bull Randleman was one of the best soldiers Winters ever had. He went into Earth Moving business in Arkansas. He's still there."

"Alton More returned to Wyoming with a unique souvenir, Hitlers personal photo albums. He was killed in a car accident in 1958."

"Floyd Talbert we all lost touch with in civilian life. Until he showed up at a reunion just  before his death in 1981."

"How they lived their lives after the war was as varied as each man."

"Carwood Lipton became a glass making executive, in factories all over the world. He has a nice life in California."

"Harry Welsh, he married Kitty Grogan became an administrator for the Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania school system."

"Ronald Speirs stayed in the Army. Served in Korea and in 1958 returned to Germany as Governor of Spandau Prison. He retired a lieutenant and colonel."

Margaret

     The boys cheered as they got another person out. I giggled and shook my head. Our wedding may have been a bust last week but that was okay. We were surrounded by the men we loved and put our lives on the line for.

"Easy company! School circle!" Spiers yelled. I sighed getting up and walked over to Joe. He put his arm around me and kissed my head.

"Listen up, I got some news. This morning President Truman received the unconditional surrender from the Japanese. Wars over." Winters smiled at us. We sat there silently for a moment. They all started cheering and Joe picked me up spinning me around.

"We get to go home Sweetheart!" He kissed me, I smiled holding his face in one hand and my other on his chest.

"We'll get to see Eliza!" I smiled up at him. We ran to our tent to collect our stuff eager to go home. 
We finished packing our bags and Joe turned me around kissing me again. I smiled as he picked me up kissing me.

"I love you, i love you," he peppered my face with kisses.

"I love you more," I kissed him with a smile, "Will you guys be in our real wedding?"

"Yes," George smiled big.

"We certainly will you send us invites and we'll be there Maggie," Malarkey smiled.

I rested my head on Joe's chest, we had made it both of us, alive. I listened to his heart beat and thought about it. We both went through a lot, both of us being shot, almost freezing to death in Bastogne, me giving birth in a run down house. But now we were going home to see our little girl and our families.