Seventeen

Joseph

           I looked in the mirror and straightened out my jacket. Winters arranged to get my jacket ironed and looking better after being carried around in a bag for two years.
I ran a hand through my hair making sure it looked good. I was beyond scared, scared she'd change her mind once we were at the altar. Well, it was an outdoor wedding. We were able to get canopy like traditional Jewish weddings.
I took a deep breath, "Come on Lieb don't sweat it. Maggie's been in love with you since you guys met." George walked over to me.

"I know but I'm scared she's changed her mind.

"Trust me, man she hasn't," Web came in the room shutting the door behind him, "I was just talking to her she's more than excited."

"Thanks, guys really, this means a lot to me and Maggie." I smiled and hugged the two.

"Malarkey's on his way up but it's almost time," Web looked at his watch.

"Okay," I nodded and took a swig from my flask and set it back down.

I stood at the alter and I breathed through the nervousness.

"You got this Lieb," Frank whispered to me. I nodded and as the music started playing I saw her.
She has on the perfect white dress. It has lace on the bottom and had a beautiful lace collar. She looked stunning the thin veil over her face.
Winters had one arm around her with Nixon's on the other side. She held a bouquet of beautiful white Lily's. I swallowed the lump in my throat as I could feel the tears stream down my face.
I never thought that this could happen. Let alone for Maggie to want to marry me.
When they got to the alter Lipton took the bouquet and held it while Nix and Winters sat down. I took both of her hands.
I couldn't even focus on the words Frank was spilling through. I couldn't keep my eyes off of her.
I choked on a tear as it was time to read the vows.

"Excuse me," I cleared my throat and pulled out the cards Webster helped me write.

"Maggie, since the day I laid eyes on you in that truck coming back from the battle I knew you were the one. Even if I was convinced you didn't like me like that and I wouldn't stop flirting with you." The boys laughed and I glanced at them.
I looked back up at Maggie quickly before looking back down at the cards. "You've made me a better man, I vow to love you and stay loyal to you and honor you as long as we both live. I love you so much, Margaret." I smiled at her and pocketed the cards. They all clapped for me, I glanced back at Webster, he wiped his eyes of tears. I snickered and shot him a wink.

Maggie read through her vows, and Frank gave us our rings as we promised to love each other and put them on.
"I now pronounce Margaret Protch and Joseph Liebgott for the first time ever. Husband and wife, you may now kiss your bride." Frank smiled at us, I lifted Maggie's veil and kissed her.
I dipped her as we smashed our face together, the sweet taste of her entering my mouth. We pulled away and giggled looking at everyone. They all clapped and stood up.

"God I'm so proud of you Joe," Webster sniffed and hugged me. I giggled and nodded.

        We had our reception in the hotel in the lobby area just anywhere.
When I shared that first dance with Maggie I cried. I couldn't believe she was finally mine.
It was shared with laughter and stories with the men we served by. Put our life's on the line for, Maggie even saved some of these lives in here.
Then Two young soldiers came running in. Because even if it was a wedding we had to keep patrol.
"Winters!" They ran to him. The music stopped and everyone gathered around. Maggie took my hand as we walked over.