Eleven

Margaret

I sniffed as Joe held my hand tight. We were three hours into this and I wasn't sure how much longer I could do this.
"Come on Doll it's gonna be okay," He kissed my knuckles.

"Joe I don't know if I can do this," I stopped as I screamed as the contractions started again.

"Margaret I'm going to need you to start pushing again," Eugene said. I nodded as tears welled up in my eyes.

"Okay come on darling," Joe sighed squeezing my hand as I pushed more.

"The babies crowning Maggy," Eugene smiled.

"We're almost done sweetheart," Joe smiled at me and pushed more clenching my eyes as tears fell out with the pain.

"Okay, one more push Maggie," Eugene smiled up at us.

"Ready doll?" Joe smiled at me. I nodded eagerly. I pushed again and the baby was out. They were crying and Joe cut the umbilical cord.
"It's a girl Mags," Joe smiled looking at our baby who was now wrapped in a blanket.

"Eliza," I smiled tearing up instantly as Joe handed me her. On March 26th, 1945 at around 11 PM my little girl was born.

"She's so beautiful, looks just like you." Joe smiled sitting in a chair next to me. I was so sweaty and gross from all of that.

"She looks like you, got her daddy's nose." I looked at Eliza and then Joe. Eugene grabbed a camera and grabbed a photo of us sharing a moment. Perhaps one of the only good moments in war.

"Oh I snagged this for you by the way," Joe dug in his pocket and pulled out a chocolate bar.

"Thank you but I'll pass for now," I sighed looking back at Eliza. This is everything I'd want, but I knew I'd have to send her out with another medic to take her to my mother why me and Joe finished fighting the war.
I was getting so sleepy, Joe took Eliza. I laid on my side looking at them.

"You know you got the best mama in the whole world, Eliza. She's sweet loves to help people, hey she even took a bullet and kept on fighting." Joe talked to her like she understood it all. I smiled looking at them, I sighed as I heard shuffling and yelling as some of the patrolmen brought in an injured soldier.

"Can I be of any help?" I sighed turning to get up.

"Protch you need rest, you just gave birth," Spiers ordered. Eliza started crying, whoever was on the bed was young.
"Joe take her upstairs I'll be up soon." I sighed as I slowly moved myself up and got dressed into Joe's shirt and pants that he laid out for me. I sniffed as I looked who I found to be Jackson pleading for his life. By the look of it, he was going to die. I rubbed the tears and pulled myself up the stairs. I found Joe rocking Eliza on our bunk. I sat next to them and sighed looking at Joe.

"I hate that we have to send her back tomorrow, I mean for her safety but I'm so sick of war." I sighed rubbing my eyes.

"You can probably get shipped off with everything that's happened." He began.

"Joe I'm not going home without you." I shook my head and held Eliza as he passed her to me.

"Okay okay," He gave up on the idea of me going home, "You know I always told my mom I'd marry a nice Jewish girl."

"Who said I wasn't Jewish?" I smiled at him as I let Eliza suck on my finger.

"You are?" He asked.

"Mhm, I mean my family is I mean I am." I shrugged, He smiled at me.

"Then this makes this a hell of a lot easier," he smiled and got up going down on one knee.

"Joe, what the hell are you doing?" I pushed my sweaty brown hair from my face.
He took one of my hands, the other arm I was holding Eliza.

"Margaret Protch, I think since the day I laid eyes on you in that truck. We were meant to be, now shit we have a kid. During a fucking war, we had a kid while I fought and you worked in a hospital. So I'm asking you, Maggy the love of my life to marry me." He stared into my eyes. I sniffed as tears started to an uproar in my eyes.

"Yes, Joe I will, a million times yes!" I sniffed and he kissed me gently. He took back Eliza as I laid down to get more rest.

"We're gonna have a big house with enough room for all our little Liebgotts." He chucked. I smiled and nodded looking at him.

"Wanna have a bunch of little Liebgotts with me, Maggie?" He asked.

"Please, I already love Eliza so much." I smiled as he looked at her. Eliza did look like Joe and it was perfect.
Eugene came up the stairs, "How's Jackson?" I asked him sitting up.

"He passed Maggie," he frowned sitting on the bunk across from ours. He put his head in his hands and wiped his eyes, "Can I hold Eliza?" He asked.

"Please," I smiled and Joe passed her to Eugene.

"She looks just like you guys," he smiled looking down at her.

"She looks more like Joe," I smiled snd leaned my head on his shoulder.

"She's got your eyes though Maggie," He kissed my head. I yawned again as my eyes started to drift.

"Here I'll watch Eliza while you sleep," Eugene offered.

"I need to feed her first guys," I sighed and took her. I looked at Joe, this is everything I wanted but I wish it was at home. Not here.