Five

Joseph

Joseph

They had German POWs lined up against the truck.
I kicked them, "Which one of you shot my girl!?" I yelled at them.
"Bunch of bastards," I spit at them and kicked one of them.

"Hey, Lieb enough!" Malarkey grabbed my arm pulling me away from them.

"Margret got shot by them!" I yelled at him, "I should just kill them all right now!"

"What, Margaret was shot!?" He stared at me.

"Yeah, in the hip I took her to the hospital," I sighed.

"Lieb, Malarky! Let's go!" Winters called,  we walked to the truck and got in.

"I'm so worried about her," I lit a cigarette as they started to hall us off.

"I'm sure she's fine Lieb," Luz spoke up.

"You didn't see her!" I snapped at him blowing out smoke. I shook my head and sighed.

     The moment we got back I ran to the hospital looking around.

"Irene where is she?" I asked her frantically.

"She's in her barracks Lieb," she nodded, "Take her some morphine and chocolate." She handed me them.

"Thanks," I smiled and walked to her barracks.
I pulled open the cloth door, she was laying on her side twirling her dog tags.

"Hey doll," I smiled walking over to her.

"Joe!" She sat up but grimaced.

"Hey hey lay down," I came over to her, "Irene sent morphine and chocolate."

"Thank god," she took the morphine. I sighed and rubbed her back.

"I was worried all day about you Mags," I took her hands. She sat up and put her weight against me.
"Hun we can lay down."

"Why don't you go clean up and you can sleep in here with me tonight?" She sighed looking at me.

"Margaret just say I stink," I chuckled and kissed her cheek.

"That and I don't want mud on my bed." She smiled and pushed me up off my bed. I winked at her and walked out. I sighed and ran a hand through my dirty hair. I was desperate for a shower but I wanted to get back to Margaret.

"Heading for a shower Lieb, you need it," Nix called to me as I came into the barracks.

"Yeah just a quick one, I'm spending the night with Margaret." I nodded grabbing clean clothes and a towel heading to the shower area.

"Joe?" Margaret whispered into my ear quietly. She was tucked into my chest and I was holding her hand.

"Yeah Doll?" I asked her opening my eyes.

"Do you got any more morphine? Anything I can't sleep." She sighed looking up into my eyes, I cupped her cheek and peered down at her green eyes.

"I don't, I gave you my last bit sweetheart." I frowned kissing her forehead.

"Can you just talk to me till I fall asleep?" She mumbled into my chest.

"Yeah," we switched around in bed so I was laying on my back and her head was laying on my chest. My arm was around her. She ran her hand over my chest and played with my dog tags.

"When we get back to California," I began playing with her brown locks, "We'll have a nice house, maybe a baby blue color?"

"Yeah?" She closed her eyes and rested her hand on my chest.

"Maybe a few kids?" I said waiting to see her response. I watched her smile and she nodded.
I kept talking with her till I heard her soft snores.
I smiled and shut my eyes letting the sound of her putting me to sleep.

I sighed as I laid in a fox hole thinking about Margaret. She was on rest because of her hip.
I sighed as the firing started, I cocked the gun and started firing.
I watched men go down I sighed reloading and shooting more. I couldn't stop thinking about Margaret. Did she really want to start a family with me?
The fighting stopped again as Easy had taken over the German soldier. I climbed out of my foxhole and over to Luz.

"How was it with Maggie?" He asked slinging his gun on his shoulder.

"Man, I'm confused. Last night she was willing to have a family with me." I sighed and lit a cigarette heading over to March the soldiers back to camp.

"God damn Lieb," he looked at me and took a cigarette out as well.

"She said she's coming back with me to California." I nodded and shouted some cues at the Germans.
I was fluent enough to get them up and going.

A/N: please vote and comment!