Three

Joseph

Joseph

            We were riding back from another fight. When we got in Margaret didn't take her usual spot next to me. Just one on the floor against the wall separating us from the driver.
I pulled out a cigarette and lit it. I glanced over at the girl I started to fall in love with. Mud splattered her face along with dried blood, at that time you couldn't tell what was her freckles or what was blood. . She had a cold stare on the woods behind us as we road back to camp.
Something had happened out on the field to make her act like this. I sighed and got up sitting next to her. I took the cigarette and handed it to her. Without moving her gaze she grabbed it from me.
Putting it in between her soft pink lips.

"Maggie?" I asked quietly not making eye contact with her.

"Mhm," she blew out some smoke.

"Do you wanna talk about what's bothering you sweetheart?" I asked looking at her. I poured some of the water on my hand and rubbed away the mud and blood on her face.

"Not right now Joe," she put out the cigarette and turned to look at me.
Her eyes went soft as she met my gaze. The others soldiers turned to let us have time as they all understood what it was like to come back from a fight shook up.

"Doll it's gonna be okay," I took her soft, cold hands in mine. She let up the tense in her shoulders go.
I pressed my lips against her knuckles as I kissed them. It'd been two weeks but I was in love.
She nodded gently and leaned her head against my shoulder.
I turned my head and kissed her head. Malarkey sent me a wink and I winked back at him.

The truck came to a stop at camp and I pulled her up with me. I grabbed our helmets as she walked slowly next to me.

"Do you wanna tidy up? Go get some food at the mess hall?" I asked her, I wanted her to take her time and do what she needed.
She shook her head, "I think I'm just going to stay in my barracks tonight."

"Mind if I stop by before patrol?" I asked her as we got to her barracks.

"I domt mind at all," she smiled. I leaned down and kissed her before she disappeared into the building and I went to my own.

"Just get married already Lieb!" Luz pushed me jokingly.

"Trust me I'll get her to someday," I winked at him stripping myself of my dirty uniform. I grabbed a clean white shirt and khaki pants out. I put them on and wiped the mud off of my face. I slid on my brown jacket.

"I'm going to go see my Maggie, don't do anything stupid." I scruffed up Luz's hair.

"Don't get her pregnant Lieb," he laughed. I pulled my coat over my shoulders as the cold french air hit my arms.

"Decent Mags?" I asked against the canvas barracks tent.

"Yeah come in," she spoke up. I pushed the cloth back and ducked in.

"Hey sweetheart," I sat across from her at the small table in the corner.

"Let me see your wound Clementine," she got up and pulled her chair over to me.

"Doll it's fine really," I sighed looking away at the wall.

"Joe come on don't be stubborn with me," she grabbed my face so I was looking at her.

"Okay fine sweetheart," I sighed and kissed her cheek.
I sighed as she started to undo the bandages around my neck. She opened a flask and poured it on the wound.

"Fuck Maggie," I slapped the table as she poured it on me.

"I'm sorry," she pulled away and looked down.

"No Mags I'm sorry for yelling at you," I held her hands, "I didn't mean to yell at you."

"No it's okay I understand," she cleaned off some of the mud by the wound. Then wrapped it back up lightly.
She stared at my jawbone and ran her thumb down my cheek.
I looked at her and admired her, her big green eyes.
The way freckles decorated her face, her brown locks always laying perfect.
I cupped her face and brought it to mine as we kissed. She smiled and I pulled back looking at her.

"What is it Doll?"

"I just I think I'm in love with you Joe," she paused staring into my eyes, "We've only known each other for maybe a month but I'm in love with you. You're single handedly the most stubborn man I've ever met."
I kissed her to get her to shut up. I tore my fingers through her hair as we kissed.

"I'm in love with you too Maggie," I held both of her hands in mine.
Eugene cleared his throat as he stood at the door of the barrack.

"Oh I'm sorry Eugene," Margaret got up pulling me up with her, "Joe you better get to patrol."

"Okay, see you tomorrow Maggie," I smiled and kissed her forehead.

"Be careful," she kissed my cheek. I winked at Eugene as I made my way out of the tent. Back to my barracks to put my uniform back on heading out to patrol with the boys.