Ten

Joseph

It was finally warming up and Maggie was getting ready to burst at any point. I held her hand as we road in trucks to where ever they wanted us. We were stopped, I pulled out a cigarette and lit it.

"The baby...it keeps kicking Joe. It hurts so much," Maggie had tears running down her face.

"Maggie just breath through it okay?" I put my hand on her stomach gently.

"Pregnant? Is that your baby Joe?" Webster called. Last I saw him he was injured at Holland. He was back but not after being privileged and not going through what the rest of Easy did in Belgium.

"Yeah it's mine," I rolled my eyes putting my arm around Margaret and turning away from him.

"What's your name?" He asked Jackson. Jackson replied and helped Webster back up. They called for us and I got up pulling Maggie up and helping her up.
They got us into abandoned houses to get rest and let us relax. I walked with my arm around Maggie helping us to where Easy was staying.
Lipton opened the door and laid on a couch. He had caught pneumonia.
"Here sit down Sweetheart," I sat her down on a chair and she clenched her eyes leaning her head back.
People came in giving us food and water. I sat next to Maggie while the rest of the men ate.
"Here I got you some food," I handed her the cup of stew.

"Did you get some?"

"I did don't worry about me," I assured her. She nodded and ate up. A young soldier came in, he couldn't be any older than 17-18 maybe.

"Where can I find Captain Spiers?" He spoke generally into the group of them.

"Over there," Luz pointed over to where Spiers was speaking with Lipton. We looked up as Malarkey walked in.

"Malarkey, you're back already?" Maggie smiled.

"Yep couldn't miss it," he chuckled.

"How's that ass feel?" I smiled turning to him.

"Better," he smiled. I heard talking about patrol between Lipton and Spiers. Something about taking over on the other side of the lake. I sighed and I helped Maggie up as we went over to the bunks where the rest of the men were. Maggie sat down on one and I stood next to it.
Webster came in, "This taken?" He motioned to the bunk bed above where Maggie was sitting.

"No," she shook her head looking up at him.

"Guys this is lieutenant Jones," he motioned to the boy who looked like he could be no more than 18.
Jones wandered over to Spiers.

"Is he even out of high school?" I asked Web.

"He's out of West Point," Webster shrugged.

"So what do you know about this patrol thing?" I asked him.

"Uh nothing," he stated lying.

"Oh come on Web you gotta know something," Maggie said.

"I don't," he sighed.

"Bullshit," I spat on the ground.

"You were there right? At the CP?"