Nineteen

Joseph

I put my arm around Maggie as we held our bags in our hands. We looked around for our mothers at the train station.

"Maggie! Joe!" My mother called out and waved.
We ran over, I dropped my bags and hugged her.
I felt tears start to fall, Maggie was holding Eliza.

"Hi Mrs. Protch, I'm Joe." I smiled looking down at Maggie's mom.

"Hi Joe, it's such an honor to meet you. I've heard so much about you and how great you are." She smiled and hugged me.
Eliza babbled and looked at me.

"Yeah, you want your daddy?" Maggie looked at her.

"Oh my little peanut," I took Eliza and kissed her all over her face earning a giggle from her. I held her and looked at her. She had big green eyes like Maggie's, a long nose like mine. She was perfect.

"Let's get you two going we gotta get you moved into the house tomorrow." Mrs. Protch smiled at us, Maggie picked up our bags and followed our moms out to her car, and loaded in everything.

"House? I thought we were looking for apartments, Joe?" Maggie looked at me and took Eliza.

"Surprise," I smiled. I had contacted our families through letters and they got us our Mr. and Mrs. Liebgott dream house.

"Joe you did not!?" She had her mouth open wide.

"I did, I want it to be perfect for our family." I kissed her cheek.
She smiled and hugged me tightly.

"I love you Mags," I whispered in her ear.

"I love you too Joe," she smiled back and played with Eliza till we arrived at her mother's house.

"Will you two love birds be okay one night apart?" My mom turned around looking at us.

"I'm sure we will," I smiled at her and kissed Maggie, "I'll see you, first thing in the morning I love you!" I said goodbye to her and Eliza and watched them pull off to go to their own home for the night.

"I like her a lot Joe and she's Jewish?" My mom asked as she opened the door for me.

"Yes she is mama," I smiled. I entered the house and my sisters bombarded me in a hug.

"Hey guys," I smiled.

"I missed you so much Joey," Talia hugged me. She was 15 now I think?

"I missed you to Talia," I hugged her, "I can't wait for you to meet Margaret you'll love her." I smiled. I bent down and picked up Keilah.

"How old are you now Lilah?" I smiled at my younger sister who was so much bigger from the last time I saw her.

"Eight," she smiled and hugged me tightly. She then touched the scar on my neck, "What happened Joey?" She asked innocently.

"I got grazed by a bullet," I smiled setting her down. I hugged my dad as he came into the living area.
That night we chatted about what they were up to while I was gone. I didn't get into detail about the war as the last three years we're still an open wound for me. I couldn't wait for my family to meet Maggie and Eliza.

I stood outside of the big baby blue house with Maggie.

"Oh my god Joe, I can't believe you did this." She sniffed and cried. Cried happy tears.

"How could I have not done this for you sweetheart! You're the love of my life." I held her hands and kissed her. She was in a white sundress with yellow flower print on it. I'd never seen her in anything remotely like that other than her wedding dress. Her hair was curled and a red bandana wrapped in her hair like she always wore.
"Do you wanna go inside?" I asked her feeling the key in my pocket. She nodded eagerly, I picked her up bridal style and stepped onto the walkway.

"To our new life Maggie." I kissed her cheek and ran up the stairs unlocking the door for her to see the beautiful house. I'd do anything for her.