Nine

Joseph

            Maggie slept next to me and I was happy she finally was getting the well needed rest. I sighed getting out the small notepad out to write to my mom.

Dear Mama,

     We're spending the night in a church. It's nice to be in warmth after fighting in Belgium. It gets in the negatives every night.
A few months ago Margaret and I found out she was pregnant with our kid. If it's a girl we're naming it Eliza. If it's a boy Joseph.
We keep talking about our life after the war. We're excited to be out of the war.
I miss you and dad like crazy, we're excited for you to meet your grandchild. Sending all of my loves.
-Joseph.

I signed it off and sealed the envelope handing it over to Winters. I laid Maggie down and covered her in my blanket.

     I pulled out a cigarette as a sister came in saying that there was food for us. I sighed and touched Maggie's side gently.

"Maggie sweetheart?" I whispered to her.

"Hm?" She whined rubbing her eyes.

"They've got food you need to eat," I smiled at her. She nodded and sat up but threw her head back.

"They're moving in there," she sighed I smiled and placed my hand under shirt feeling the tiny kicks.

"It's amazing Mags," I smiled she smiled back.

"I'm so excited Joe," she smiled looking at me.

"Me too," I kissed her cheek. I stood up and pulled Maggie up by her hands. I understood how hard it was being pregnant. When my mom was pregnant with my youngest sister I helped her a lot.
I held Maggie's hand as we walked to go get the stew.

A/N: hi short chapter because I'm throwing around the timeline around for sake of this plot.