From here to there, from there to here, glowy things are everywhere (Percy)

Katara was still looking at the creepy statues, but I was ready to get out of that place. Saying that however, I didn't really want to leave her alone. Call me silly, for getting worried about a bunch of statues, but I was still sure something would happen.

And happen it did.

The statue of Roku started to glow. Its eyes took the same gleam Aang's had back at the fire nation ship. The tall woman next to him began to glow too, and I and Katara watched in amazement as statue after statue began to light up.

—————

I didn't know this at the time, but deep in the Fire Nation, a barefooted, red-headed girl was kneeling before a family shrine, trying to decipher yet another dream. As she saw the glow of the shrine her eyes widened, and all at once, the meaning of her dream became clear.

In the southern air temple, a blonde boy was looking at the last statue of an airbending woman with outstretched arms. He jumped back in shock as her eyes and the arrow tattoos on her forehead began to glow. Hope blossomed as he realized that the avatar was alive.

In the northern water tribe, a princess with white hair watched a pool of water, wondering again for what purpose her life was spared. The water blazed with white light, and her eyes mirrored the shine.

And in an earth kingdom town, a chubby boy gasped in amazement at the light that blazed up for the sky.

"Toph," he said. "What is that?"

"I'm blind Frank," the girl said. "How the spirits am I supposed to know?"

"Oh. Right. It's just a really big light."

"Beautiful, I'm sure. Now can we get back home before my parents find me out of bed?"

"Right, sorry."

Though some of them suspected, none knew exactly what the light meant, or how much their own destinies would be entwined with its source.

—————-

Katara and I both ran to Aang. The wind had picked up, blowing wildly. Bits of rubble and dirt flew along, stinging our skin. Finding Aang wasn't a problem. He was rising from the ground inside his own personal tornado, his eyes and arrows glowing again, just like the statues. Beneath him was rubble that had recently been a small chamber.

"What happened?" Katara shouted over the raging wind.

"He found out that the fire nation killed Gyatso!" Sokka shouted back.

"Oh no," Katara looked in amazement at Aang. "It must have triggered his avatar spirit. I'm going to calm him down."

"You're going to of what?" I yelled. "Katara, don't be stupid. That's dangerous."

But hey, since when did she listen to me?

I watched helplessly as Katara walked over toward Aang. She struggled against the winds, trying to walk forward, but was shoved back away. I found myself being torn away and desperately grabbed a nearby stone for support.

"Aang," Katara said, her voice loud but clear. "I know you're upset and I know how hard it is to lose the people you love. I went through the same thing when I lost my mom. Monk Gyatso and the other Airbenders may be gone, but you still have a family. Me, Sokka, Percy, and Appa—we're your family now."

The winds stilled. Slowly, Aang came back to the ground, but his eyes and tattoos were still glowing. The three of us ran up to him.

"We aren't going to let anything happen to you," Sokka said, his voice surprisingly gentle. "Promise."

"You aren't alone," I add. "And you never will be."

Katara took his hand. The light faded. He was just Aang again.

"I'm sorry," he said softly.

"It's okay," Katara said. "It wasn't your fault."

"But you were right. And if the firebenders found this temple, that means they found the other ones, too," he looked at the empty temple, nothing more than ruins. "I really am the last Airbender."