We get some nut-shaped rocks for breakfast (Annabeth)

Annabeth sighed. She already missed Omashu, and they had only left a few days ago. She never knew a place could be so beautiful. Beneath her

disappointment was a spark of excitement though. This trip had so far turned out to be everything she had dreamed of and more.

Katara had managed to buy some clothes for her, despite the fact that it had been difficult to tear Annbeth away from studying Omashu's architecture. She was wearing some of them now: long brown pants that allowed for plenty of movement along with high boots, a green shirt with gold-trimmed edges and slightly puffy sleeves, and a wide leather belt that was tied off with a dark green string. She was also wearing her dark leather wrist guards from her Kyoshi Warrior outfit, the other armor was too clunky to go with such a slimmed-down outfit. She had also bought her toiletries and some make-up, as she had run off without anything but what was on her. Other than that all she had was her fans, her shield, and her Kyoshi outfit.

"Scrolls," she said aloud.

"What?" asked Percy who was next to her. The five of them were riding on Appa.

"I forgot scrolls," Annabeth sighed. "And ink. We'll have to buy them in the next town."

"You should have done that while we were in Omashu instead of gaping at the walls," Sokka said.

Annabeth scowled. "It's not my fault I'm the only one who appreciates the finer things of life."

"Well it doesn't matter," Sokka said. "We don't have money for that sort of thing. We'll be lucky to get by for a couple of weeks on what Bumi gave us, forget about reaching the north pole in time. Money is going to quickly become an issue."

"Oh, come on," Aang said, from his perch on Appa's neck. "I'm the Avatar. I'm sure we'll run into plenty of other kings willing to give us money."

The other four shared a look.

"It's okay," Annabeth said. "I don't need scrolls anyway."

------------

As it turned out, towns were rare in this area. After a week or so, they found themselves in dire straits when it came to food. Sokka tried to ration it, but by that point, it was too late. Then next attempt was scrounging for food, but as Annabeth had never stepped outside her town since she was seven, Aang had lived a sheltered life in the temple, and the others weren't sure what to do with so many trees, they had very little luck.

"We've got a few options," Sokka said one day as they were resting in a forest. "First; round nuts. And some kind of oval-shaped nuts? And some rock-shaped nuts, that might just be rocks. Dig in."

"Seriously," Katara asked. "What else do you got?"

Momo sniffed and picked up the rock-shaped nut. Attempting to break it, he slammed it down on a stone. The others all jump as a tremor ran through the earth under their feet. Momo whimpered.

"What was that?" Percy asked.

"It's coming from over there," Aang said, as another tremor shuddered through the ground.

The four of them spend off, with Sokka trailing along behind saying: "Shouldn't we be traveling away from huge booms? Not toward them?"

They found the source of the booms easily. A young boy was earthbending in a small gorge.

"An earthbender," Katara gasped.

"Let's go meet him," Aang said.

"He looks dangerous," Annabeth warned. "Let's approach him with caution-"

"Hello," Katara said, springing out of the boulder they were hiding behind. "I'm Katara! What's your name?"

The boy spun around, saw them, and his face transformed into a mask of terror. He quickly dropped the boulder he was bending with a heavy thud and fled back into the woods.