8. Kadyn

Kadyn was walking down the road with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. After leaving home he began to smoke, drink, and do drugs. He'd be lying if he didn't say he missed home. His sister, his dad, hey even his little brother.

"Hey, Isbell," Tristen, the drug dealer who was four years older than Kadyn said. Kadyn walked up to him and held out a twenty-dollar bill. Tristen reached into his jacket and pulled out heroin. "Here, and hurry up the cops are on my back," Tristen said. Kadyn grabbed the drug and ran away. 

Kadyn walked under a bridge and sat. He stars at the creek flowing in front of him. The pack of heroin and a needle sat beside him along with a bottle of Jack Daniels his friend gave him. A few frogs leaped into the water and fish quickly swam away. Kadyn sighed and took a sip of the Jack Daniels. 

"Hey, son, what are doing?" Kadyn gasped as he shot his head over to look at a police officer. "I-" "You're doing drugs and underage drinking," the officer said. "I'll have to take you in." Kadyn jumped up and tried to run but the cop grabbed his shoulder and forced him back. "Hey, boy, this would go a whole lot if you didn't resist arrest. Got it?" the officer asked annoyed with Kadyn's behavior. Must not be the first time that day he had to deal with annoying people. 

The Officer put Kadyn in handcuffs and placed him into the car. Kadyn answered some questions on the way to the jail. 

Kadyn was thrown into a jail cell with two other men in there. "Oh, look a little shit, eh? Hey, we could have a good time with this shithead," one of the men said. Kadyn pressed himself against the bars. "No, l-leave me alone," Kadyn said. The men just laughed ugly laughs as they walked closer to the scared seventeen-year-old. 

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

The days seemed to go by longer without Kadyn around. Izzy sat at the table with his food in front of him. Myles was at Xander's with the band and Katie was with her friends studying. Now that Izzy thought of it. Kadyn was the only one of Izzy's three kids that didn't want to leave him alone. 

Izzy pushed his food away. He didn't want to eat. He was about to go into his room and cry when he heard the phone ring. He picked it up. "Hello?" He asked. "Is this Jeffery Isbell?" a deep voice on the other end asked. "Um. Yeah," Izzy said a bit nervous. 

Who was this person calling him? Were his kids okay? Is this a kidnapper wanting money in return for the kid's lives? No. Izzy was being irrational. He was always nervous when his children were gone. 

"This is the L.A. Police Department. We have your son Kadyn Isbell here. He was arrested for underage drinking and the possession of heroin," the man said. "Oh! C-can I go get him?" Izzy asked. "Yeah," the man said. "Okay, I'll be there in a minute," Izzy said. 

He drove down the road, biting his lip and clutching the steering wheel. How could he do that? Drugs? Really? And where is he living? Has he been homeless? No. If he was he couldn't get drugs right? Right? Izzy thought as he neared the police station. 

Izzy walked to the front desk. "Um, I'm here for my son. Kayden Isbell," he said. "Oh yeah, he'll be out in a minute," the lady said. Izzy nodded. 

A few moments later Kadyn was brought out by a police officer. He was wearing orange and his face was bruised and his lip was busted. "Oh my God! Kadyn! Are you okay? What happened?" Izzy asked running to his son. Kadyn didn't look at his father. He just stared down at his shoes. "Alright, l-let's get out of here," Izzy said. 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

"Hey, son, it's alright," Izzy said rubbing Kadyn's back as they both sat on the side of Kadyn's bed. Kadyn had his face in his hands and was crying. "I'm such a terrible person," Kadyn said. "No, you aren't," Izzy said. Kadyn lifted his head and looked at Izzy. "I am. Just before I left I hurt Myles. Bad. And then I turned to drugs and alcohol," Kadyn said. "We can change all of that, Kadyn," Izzy said raking a hand through Kadyn's blonde hair that he had inherited from Leah. "Katie and Myles probably hate me," Kadyn said. Izzy smiled sadly. "You know Myles can't hate," he said. Kadyn smiled back. 

Izzy stood up. "Well, I guess we'll find out tomorrow, anyway," Izzy said. "I'm going to sleep, goodnight son." Izzy kissed Kadyn's head before walking out of the room. 

Kadyn fell asleep in peace. In happiness. He loved his family more than anything. And he learned that the hard way by running away from them.