15. Help

"Myles, can we stop I'm tired," Tony said as they walked down the road. The sun was low in the sky but it was hot and all three of the teens were sweating. "No," Myles said. "If we do the men can find us and we'll be caught again," Myles said. "But it's getting dark," Alice said. "Exactly, do you wanna be eaten by wolves?" Myles asked. "No," Tony and Alice said in unison. "Good, let's go," Myles said. 

"Hey, look is that a house?" Tony asked. Myles looked ahead and saw lights in the darkness. "I think it is!" he said. "Come one!" 

The three of them ran as fast as their tired legs could take them when they stopped by a large white farmhouse beside a large pasture with cows and horses and a barn. Myles noticed a man out there petting a cow. 

"Hey! Hey!" Myles, Alice, and Tony yelled in unison. The man turned to them as they ran up to him. He was an older man probably in his late sixties. Through the barn light, the man could see the kids well. "Aren't you that Izzy Stradlin's son?" the man asked. Myles nodded. "He's offering three million dollars to anyone who brings you home," the man said. "I won't take the money though. I know what it's like to lose a child. I know what it's like to lose a child for good," the man said picking up a bucket of milk. "I'm Henry. Let's go inside by wife Dorothy is inside. She'll cook you three a hot meal and you guys can shower if you want. And sleep in the guest room. Tomorrow we'll alert the authorities that y'all were found. And I'm guessing you're Tony and Alice Day? The children that went missing a year ago?" the man said. Tony and Alice nodded. "Well, I'm sure your parents will be glad to see y'all too," Henry said. "Let's go." 

They were lead into the white house. The inside was pretty. Decorated like you'd expect a farmhouse to be. It had two couches and two armchairs. The armchairs sat beside each other. Beside one was an end table with sewing supplies and yarn. The other chair had an end table but was filled with farming magazines and an old basset hound sat in it. The carpet was dark brown. And the only thing lighting the room was a tall lamp that sat by the armchair with the magazines. 

They were lead to the kitchen. The kitchen was decorated with farm decors and a woman was pouring milk in the cup in front of a plate of steak and sweet potato. Myles's stomach growled. He hadn't eaten since the night he was taken. And that had to be about two nights ago. He was starving. 

"Oh my goodness. It's the missing children! Henry where did you find them?" the woman, who must've been Dorothy asked. "They came running up to me," Henry said. "Now what happened kids? Tell us," Dorothy said. "Well, we were kidnapped but Myles used his knife to bust a window and pick the lock and we were free. But we've been walking all day!" Tony said. "Well, then you must be hungry," Henry said. The teens nodded. "Good, I fixed a few more steak and sweet potato. And I'll get you some milk," Dorothy said. 

They ate. And to Myles, it was the best food he had ever eaten. It might have been because he hadn't eaten in so long. Or maybe it was to the best food he had ever eaten. 

As Myles slipped off the sleep on the comfy guest bed he thought about how happy and relieved he was. He was saved. And soon he would go back home and face the warm embrace of Izzy and Katie. Myles knew they were sad. They probably cried a lot since he was taken. It hurt Myles to know Izzy was hurt. But he knew everything would be okay. 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Myles awoke to the sun shining in his eyes through the window. He got out of bed and walked to the kitchen to see Alice and Tony already eating and there was another man there he seemed about twenty-one. "Here, Myles, are you hungry?" Dorothy asked. Myles nodded and sat beside the man. "Mama, are you going to get the money Izzy Stradlin's offering for his son?" the man asked. "No, we know how it feels to lose a child. Your sister, remember? Why take some money when this is a child. That Izzy fella must be so worried about poor Myles," Dorothy said. "Makes sense," the man said. "Oh, by the way, I called all of y'alls parents they'll be over shortly," Henry said. 

A few minutes later there was a series of knocks on the door. Henry answered it and two people came in. A few moments later Izzy came in too. 

Izzy held onto Myles tight and cried. "You're okay, you're okay. I'm so happy. You're okay," Izzy said. "I was so fucking worried." 

Finally, they went back home. Life couldn't be any better. Myles realized a lot of people cared about him. 

Lauren and Myles sat in Myles's room. Lauren held Myles's face in her hands and kissed his lips. "Myles, I was so worried about you," she said. "It's alright, I'm here now," Myles said. "I'm so glad you're okay. I love you," Lauren said. Myles smiled. "I love you too," he replied.