c h a p t e r - f o u r t e e n

Stephen

"I might be lost."

London's laugh rang through the speaker.
"Describe the area."

I scanned the surrounding town, noticing the rundown infrastructure surrounding me.
"Uh, boarded up shops, old houses-" I was driving towards the address confused as I passed the almost deserted town. "Where are you luring me lady?"

"Just keep going. You should start to see the shoreline."

I furrowed my eyebrows and kept driving, letting out a sigh of relief as I saw the shore and the large Pacific Ocean that came along with it.
"Okay, I see the shore."

"Great. There's a parking lot up ahead. See you when you get here." She said before hanging up.

I rolled my eyes and chuckled, eventually pulling into a vacant parking lot. I looked around before getting out and locking my car, noticing London's Honda across the lot. Hers was the only one in the lot, I'm pretty sure we were the only people in the town. I scanned the area walking up to the beach, not seeing anyone or anything. I sighed and pulled my phone out again, calling her once more.
"I don't see you."

"I see you." She teased.

I chuckled.
"Lead me then."

"Turn right, then walk up the beach a little bit. You'll see me."

I followed her instructions and eventually spotted her on a blacktop a couple yards away and chuckled before walking over. She smiled and hung up, waving me over. I jogged over to her as I noted her tight sports bra and how her basketball shorts hugged her hips. I realized how much I loved seeing her like this.

She dribbled the basketball before holding it on her hip.
"Welcome."

I smiled back.
"Nice area."

She chuckled, dribbling the ball again.
"It's not Beverly Hills, but it's what I'm used to."

"You grew up here?"

She nodded.
"Kinda different from your childhood Curry."

I sighed and nodded.

"The town was shit but the beaches were beautiful. No one liked to come through the town to get here so they were never affected by tourism."

She was right, the sand looked the brightest I'd ever seen, the water was clear, and the air felt light not affected by the normal smog of California.

"This was always my escape from reality. The free space, the ocean behind us, the fresh air, no one around. It always helped me clear my head and just make me happy."

I smiled.
"I could see why. This is beautiful and conveniently located."

She chuckled.
"They were supposed to turn this whole area into a park which is why the blacktop is here but as you can see the neighborhood got severely underfunded."

I nodded before focusing on the basketball in her hand.
"Basketball huh?"

"Yeah. My location, your favorite pastime. 50/50." She smiled.

"You any good?"

She shrugged, tossing the ball to me.
"You let me know."

I chuckled, liking the challenge.
"Okay."

London

He tossed the ball back to me and I picked it up, dribbling it between my legs.