c h a p t e r - e i g h t e e n

A month later..

Stephen

I focused on the pen in front of me, as me and Ayesha's lawyers comprised back and forth across the office. I wasn't even there, the only thing in my head was the woman I hadn't seen seen in two weeks. London's laughter still echoed in my ears and her smile had been engraved in my memory. The only things that had been on my mind were her, the upcoming finals, and my impending divorce.

"So division of assets?" Ayesha's lawyer asked.

"Everything will be divided based on the existing prenuptial agreement."

"Will that go the same for childcare?"

My lawyer nodded.
"It will also be the deciding factor in the children's living situations. As stated in the agreement-"

"I'm sorry, can you guys give us a minute." Ayesha asked, speaking up for the first time since we sat down.

I looked up slightly as the lawyers nodded and gave us the room.

"I don't know how many times I have to apologize, probably..forever, but I never intended to disrespect you like that." She began.

I stayed silent and nodded.

"We don't need a mediation.." She sighed. "You just let me know what you want..even when it comes to the girls. I know I betrayed them just as much as I did you."

I nodded again, sitting up.
"Where are you staying?"

"Um, Bryce has a townhouse that he doesn't really use and it's only five minutes from the girls school so I'll be moving in there. How are the girls?"

They'd been with me at the house. My mom had even come down to help with them, even helping me, with the situation.
"They're good. They miss you but my mom has been helping."

She nodded.
"Okay, well, is it okay if I pick them up tonight?"

I nodded.
"Yeah, I'm sure it'd make them happy."

She smiled slightly and stood up.
"Take care."

I sighed as she walked out.
"You too.." I grabbed my phone, scrolling to the text thread of messages to London.
It is a weekday..

London

I finished the last of the inventory before deciding to just close up as it had been dead for the last hour and there was only thirty minutes until we officially closed. I was about to lock the front door when I heard it open. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked up to see Rome walk in with takeout in his hands.

I rolled my eyes.
"What are you doing here Rome?"

"You've been avoiding me for the past two weeks. This is kind of the only place I can see you."

"I tend to avoid assholes who lie to me."

He sighed and put the food down.
"Hey, I apologized for that Lo. Over and over, and I've lost the times I've bought your favorite takeout."

I smiled slightly. If I had to be honest, I wasn't even made at him, with Steph on my mind I had better things to think about than Rome and his antics. I just loved seeing him grovel.
"You have bought a lot." I said, opening the food.

"So can I get my best friend back?"

"I'll think about it. How about that?"

He nodded slightly.
"That's better than the last response I got."