Chapter 40: Alibi

Chapter 40

Max walked over to his bed and sat down. He sighed. He didn't want to be cruel but seeing Lucas' pathetic face filled his mind with blinding white hot rage from remembering all the foul deeds that they had done to him.

He looked at the calendar and realised that he had been in the Wildlands for the past 3 days. All of this had occurred in a few days. He could not believe it...

As Max sat down, he started to plan out on what to do for the next few days.

He needed proof that he was outside the Wildlands. The best way to do it would be to go to the Ki Labs and buy something. As he was thinking about Ki Labs, he remembered something. He had forgotten about those strange tablets that they were researching.

"Maybe it's time to give professor Bai another visit." Max thought.

He walked to the Ki Labs building and showed the claim voucher from before. He was lead into the same room and professor Bai was seen deciphering the tablets again.

Max even caught a glimpse of a holographic board with many of the texts in the tablet. It seems he had managed to crack a few words in the tablet...

Max quietly walked around the room and continued to observe the professor.

"You know, spying on someone can be considered a criminal offense..." A voice said behind him.

Hearing this Max jolted in shock. It was professor Bai.

"How did you-" Max asked in confusion.

He turned around to look at the table and was surprised to see another professor Bai still deciphering the tablet.

"It's one of my abilities. It's like a clone but messier..." Professor Bai said as his arms started to melt into sand.

Seeing the pile of sand forming on the ground, Max watches in fascination as a clone of Professor Bai starts to erupt from the ground.

"You know, I can do something similar." Max said with confidence.

"Oh really? Show me." Professor Bai said with curiosity.

Max activated his [Mist Clones] and seeing the professor's reaction, he felt good.

"Amazing! A cloning ability is very useful to have! How many times can you clone yourself?" He asked.

"Sadly, only once." Max said sheepishly.

"If you practice hard, you can clone yourself more. Imagine an army of clones. It would be intimidating..." Professor Bai said in deep thought.

"Anyways, are you here to get your free Ki art?" Professor Bai asked.

Hearing the question, Max smirked.

"Actually, I still am unsure about which Ki Art to pick. So I will stay here for a while." He said with a smirk.

Professor Bai's eyebrows twitched. "This boy is crafty. He also knows how to get under someone's skin easily." He thought and sighed.

"Fine. I know you want to see the tablets. Just follow me. I'll show you a few since we don't even know most of it anyways." He said with a shrug.

Hearing this, Max beamed. He can finally inspect more of the tablets.

...

Professor Bai had shown Max most of his findings so far and it seems, according to Max, he was far off from what most of the tablets were saying. He knew this because he was able to decipher some of the words through the book [Secrets of Ki].