Chapter 12: Super Creature

Chapter 12

Hearing this, Max was even more scared. Some of these creatures were hunted to extinction by the previous travellers in the Wildlands. Max has heard of the basilisk. It has a really powerful poison. A basilisk is born from a species of snake-like creatures.

There are deep craters, Basilisk jars, where these creatures would dwell and it was considered nature's poison jar as once in a 100 years a single powerful snake will exit it. That snake is considered a basilisk as it's poison was refined to the utmost toxicity.

Max heard that some travellers destroyed all nearby basilisk jars a few thousand years ago, thus ending the species of basilisks. Turns out they were still alive. Max shivered as he thought about seeing one.

Max wasn't sure if dragons existed but hearing it from Klor and Trius, he knew they had to be real. Max absorbed them into his ring and went back to where Edlyn was. She went back to drink more blood while Max interviewed the alphas.

"So are you worried?" Edlyn asked.

"Kind of. These are creatures who are many leagues above my calibre. I don't think I can take them down alone." Max said.

"Who said you are alone? I'll help you kill them but promise me you will get their little glowing ball thing for me." Edlyn said with greed.

Max shrugged as he continued walking towards the next coven. According to Zari, the 3rd and 2nd coven's alpha both had similar abilities. Both alphas could control blood. Max heard that they can control theirs and the surrounding blood from corpses. Other than that, Zari never said anything. He also said that they were actually previous inhabitants of the forest. But according to Edlyn, there was only one. Unless there were more?

Max has summoned his [Dusk Djinn] and asked it to carry Edlyn while he ran in the air. They wanted to reach the next coven before it was nightfall. Soon after an hour of flying, Max and Edlyn saw the next coven. It also had a village kind of setting. Max observed its inhabitants and received the shock of his life.

They looked like large muscular humanoid boars. Max could make out their two tusks and powerful hindlegs. Max decided to nickname them Boarmen. Max could also make out a slightly larger boarman sitting on a stone throne. He could make out many boarmen fighting each other. It seems they are holding a contest of some kind. Max assumed that the boarman sitting on the stone throne was the alpha.

They approached the entrance of the village. Luckily it was quite far away from where the alpha was. Max stood at the entrance and soon 3 boarmen surrounded him. Max started to attack them compared to the other covens, this coven's inhabitants were much stronger. They even wielded better weapons. There were spears, swords and daggers. Max started to fight the boarmen.

They were agile and very good with the weapons. Max knew he needed to transform to beat them, but he also knew that the alpha could sense him. Just as he was about to fly away with Edlyn. The 3 boarmen were killed! Edlyn managed to strangle one with her tail from Tiberius' ability while she ripped the hearts out of the other 2 boarmen's bodies.

Max and Edlyn took the body and retreated. Max knew that they were not far from his league when he transformed but if Edlyn wasn't there, he would have had to escape.

Max and Edlyn hid on one of the tree's branches and waited. Edlyn was already drinking their blood while Max looked at his system. He needed to upgrade his ability more.

[System Info]

Name: Max

Level: 21

Experience: 2,644,980/10,490,880