Chapter 10: Good-For-Nothing

“Ah, it’s you, Xiaocheng.” Cao Hao nodded slightly. He took the initiative to pat Cheng Mu on the shoulder and said with a downcast expression. “You went to attend Ye Yuxin’s funeral?”

There was a solemn look on Cheng Mu’s handsome face and he shook his head helplessly. “Yes, I went to send her off on her last leg of her journey. Although I’m not that close with Ye Yuxin, she once valued me so much, offering me an olive branch several times… With her talent and gift, I didn’t expect her to break when faced with the betrayal of those closest to her… I find it… hard to believe that she chose to commit suicide without hesitation…. She could have sold her studio to Shengshi Entertainment and then made a comeback. With her ability and talent in the entertainment industry, why would she worry about having a way out and her development? She was too rash.”

Cao Hao shook his head helplessly, then patted Cheng Mu on the shoulder again and lowered his voice. “Silly boy, it’s not easy to make a comeback. With the financial resources and power of Shengshi Group, how can it let Ye Yuxin make a comeback so easily? I think Ye Yuxin has already seen through it and was weary of life… Xiaocheng, you have to see it clearly. Even though Ye Yuxin has great ability and talent, she’s just an ordinary woman. She didn’t have a great background and financial resources and is doomed to be swallowed up by this cannibalistic society. In this dog-eat-dog world, this is reality. It is the survival of the fittest. No matter how hard you try, how capable and talented you are, you are doomed to be played to death if you have no money and background.”

Cheng Mu hung his head in disappointment. “Originally, I still wanted to ask her to be my manager when my contract with the company expired this time… sigh.”

Tang Xiaoxiao, who had been standing in the back, had a slight change in her expression. She could not help but lower her head and a bitter smile appeared on her face. A trace of gloom flashed past her eyes. That’s right. In this society, one was doomed to be played to death because they did not have enough money, power or background. She was the best example.

So what if she had talent and ability?

In the end, she was still driven into a corner by Shengshi Entertainment and betrayed by the people closest to her!

But perhaps…

Tang Xiaoxiao raised her head and her pure black eyes sparkled with a trace of excitement. It was like the brilliant sunlight, which almost made people unable to open their eyes.

Perhaps, she would have a better start as she was now the 20-year-old Tang Xiaoxiao?

At that moment, it was as if she was hit by an epiphany.

“On the Bank of Qing River, scene 52, act 142. 3, 2, 1. Action!”

Director Cao’s voice started Yang Shan’s first official foray into the performing arts. Although before that, as her manager, Tang Xiaoxiao had already fully prepared Yang Shan, including helping her familiarise with the blocking of the film, the script, expression and actions, it was inevitable that she would be nervous. The first shot she appeared, Director Cao called out, “NG!

“Yang Shan, this is your first time filming for a movie. Don’t be nervous, just treat it as the others don’t exist. You are the young lady of the Su family.” Cao Hao was the most mild-tempered person amongst the many directors and he comforted her kindly. “Your expression and aura when you came out just now was wrong. Your expression was too rigid. You must remember that you are a young lady from a noble family. No matter the situation, you must be dignified and not look like you are from a lower class!”

Yang Shan shrunk back after being scolded and nodded vigorously. “Director, I got it. I will do well in the next take.”

Tang Xiaoxiao stood outside, chatting with several actors’ assistants, but her eyes were fixed on Yang Shan who was on the screen, afraid that something would go wrong.

“Okay, let’s retake this scene. Shanshan is a newcomer so please forgive her.”

With Director Cao Hao’s order, the entire set was busy again. After careful preparation, the first scene was finally ready to be filmed. Of course, gossip was inevitable, especially the several supporting actresses and those acting as maids. They had been playing the supporting roles for many years but were not able to get a leading role. However, a newcomer like Yang Shan was able to get it, so they were bound to have a chip on their shoulders. All sorts of gossip started to spread and it was obvious that they were sour as old grapes.

“NG! Shanshan, you’re a young lady and a daughter of an eminent family, don’t give me that petty look! Again!”

“No! What’s with your careful expression? Stand up with your back straight and stride forward!”

“Useless! Again! How many times have I told you? Young lady! Young lady! Look at yourself, do you look like one?”

“Yang Shan, focus! It’s such a simple shot and we’ve already retaken it for more than 20 times. Can you do it? If you can’t, I’ll get someone else! Don’t think the crew can’t do without you!”

By this point, Director Cao Hao’s patience was gradually wearing thin, and his attitude became furious. It was no wonder he was like that. It was just the scene of a young lady appearing and Yang Shan had already made them redo the shot for more than 30 times. Not only did it waste the film, but also the crew’s manpower, resources and everyone’s time. The complaints of the crew had been boiling with rage for a long time and if it was not for their respect for Director Cao, someone might have started cursing her already.

When it was another NG, Cao Hao’s expression had darkened to a pitch black. He thrust his finger at Yang Shan and scolded, “Yang Shan, go and take a breather. I’ll give you one last chance. If you can’t do it, I’ll get someone else! Our crew doesn’t need a good-for-nothing who only knows how to eat!”

Yang Shan, who had always been spoiled by her family, had never suffered such grievances. She did not dare to talk back when Cao Hao scolded her, the gossips and cold shoulders of the others when she kept getting NGs, made her feel double the pressure. She was also anxious and afraid. Finally, she cried and ran outside, covering her face.

Cao Hao was so angry that he snorted, then glanced at Cheng Mu. “Everyone get ready, we’ll shoot the next scene first! Xiaocheng, you okay with that?”

Cheng Mu made an OK gesture and showed a handsome smile. “Sure thing, Director.”

Cao Hao shook his head helplessly. “Professional artists are indeed good. Unlike this thing that can’t even be put on the table. Hmph!”

“Director Cao, we all started somewhere, please calm down. When I just started out as an actor, I couldn’t compare with Shanshan.” With a few words, Cheng Mu smoothed the matter over.

“You’re all tired, right? Let’s take a break first. Shanshan asked me to buy some cold drinks for everyone. Let’s cool down first before we get back to work,” a clear and charming voice suddenly rang out.

Everyone looked back and saw Yang Shan’s sexy and beautiful manager, who seemed different from her previous arrogant demeanor, wearing working clothes and a dirty coat as she scurried about, carrying boxes of cold drinks from the car.

If people knew that the young lady of the Tang family was moving things and buying cold drinks for these people, they would most probably not believe it!

Although the weather was not hot, the sun was shining brightly outside. The crew had spent so much time and energy for Yang Shan and must be feeling hot-tempered now, so giving these cold drinks to the crew could put out the fire burning in their hearts