Chapter 32: Premiere

Why were all the people standing on Tang Xiaoxiao’s side and why were they laughing at her?

No, not only that… How could Cheng Mu let her be his manager? No, I will not allow it! I will never allow Tang Xiaoxiao, who is interior to me, stand in a higher position than me! I will never let her make me into a stepping stone for her rise!

“Cheng Mu, did you really let her be your manager?” Yang Shan suddenly screamed hysterically, “Are you crazy? Cheng Mu, Tang Xiaoxiao is a newcomer. How can you let her be your manager?”

A frown crossed Cheng Mu’s face and a trace of displeasure flashed past his eyes. “Yang Shan, this has nothing to do with you. How is it your place to judge my choice in a manager? Don’t forget that you’re only a newcomer, so I’d advise you not to meddle in things that are not for you to care about.”

Seeing that Yang Shan was even offending Cheng Mu, Zhao Le grabbed Yang Shan and warned her in a low voice, “Yang Shan, stop talking nonsense!”

Cough cough… Tang Xiaoxiao gave Cheng Mu a sly look and deliberately raised her head high. “Director Cao, since you are pleading with me, I’ll accept it, if I must. However, if there are any good scripts in the future, don’t forget Cheng Mu.”

Cao Hao quickly replied, “Of course. Haha, of course, I’ll keep that in mind.”

No one noticed a furtive figure hiding secretly in a corner of the backstage, curiously examining what was happening in front.

After going into the dressing room, Tang Xiaoxiao took off the dress and put on tight denim apparel which outlined her svelte figure. It was complemented with a dark brown, wide-brimmed hat that covered most of her charming face. Then she went out of the dressing room and handed Yang Shan the aquamarine dress. “Here, go and change into it.”

Mrs Yang rolled her eyes and crossed her arms in a huff. She glanced at the dress in Yang Shan’s hand and said in a strange tone, “Director, could this dress be fake? This girl is only 20 years old, and if she is not a mistress of some man, how could she have afforded it?”

“Shut up!” Cao Hao was furious and glared at Mrs Yang. “If you don’t know how to speak properly, shut your mouth and don’t make trouble here!”

Cheng Mu had no energy to argue with the mother and daughter. He just glanced at Tang Xiaoxiao and raised his eyebrows. “Xiaoxiao, why are you suddenly wearing a hat?”

“I have no choice. I’m a natural beauty, so what happens if I steal your limelight on the stage later?” Tang Xiaoxiao winked at Cheng Mu playfully.

Cheng Mu burst out laughing. He looked at Tang Xiaoxiao’s figure and appearance and nodded seriously. “It really is possible.”

“All right!” Cao Hao clapped his hands. “Everyone, get a move on. Xiaoxiao, I’ll leave the singing later to you and Cheng Mu. Yang Shan, go and change and put on your makeup quickly. Also… Zhao Le, when you go on stage later, remember to follow behind and make sure she doesn’t speak nonsense.”

“Yes!”

“No problem at all!”

Once again, it became busy again. It seemed like no one would remember what had happened just now. But when eyes fell on Mrs Yang and Yang Shan, there seemed to be a trace of alienation and indifference in them. No one would like ungrateful and shameless people in this industry.

On this quiet night, a cinema in Donghai City ushered in an upsurge of attention. Hundreds of audiences were invited to attend the premiere of the movie ‘On the Bank of Qing River’. Like ants to honey, hundreds of media reporters flocked over because of this film that was touted “the purest and most beautiful love drama in 1920”. The director, Cao Hao, personally selected the leads and in the end, chose an ordinary female university student. Not only that, the male lead was Cheng Mu, a well-known actor in mainland China. A-list actress Wen Ruoyi, was playing a supporting role in this movie for the first time.

The news of how Director Cao Hao wanted to bring out a female university student who was a newcomer, was enough to attract people’s attention. Everyone knew that Director Cao Hao would not boost the popularity of newcomers easily.

Before it was time, the venue was already filled to the brim with the audience and stars who were invited. The stage was not very big, but the circular screen behind the stage was very eye-catching. Many people sat down below and chatted in clusters.

No one noticed that a short man had slipped back from the backstage to the audience and laughed sinisterly to the companion beside him. “Big news! Big news!”

The companion poked the short man. “Tell me, what did you see backstage just now?”

The short man chuckled. “Can you believe it? The newcomer Director Cao Hao is promoting is an ungrateful person. When I was backstage just now, I saw that new actress arguing with the crew. I heard that the new actress kicked away her original manager the moment they found a bigger backing.”

“Tsk, tsk. Creating such a problem when she’s only a newbie. How ungrateful.” The reporter beside him could not help clicking his tongue. “What a snob… By the way, did you take any pictures?”

“Haha, I only took one picture of the new actress’s face and the back of her manager. I was afraid someone would find out so I didn’t dare to take any more.”

Just as the two were whispering back and forth, the speakers on stage finally roared with music and the movie premiere that attracted the attention of the public finally began!

The opening dance song, ‘Don’t Leave Me Baby’, was a famous song by the popular female singer, Anna. The dynamic music accompanied by Anna’s dance on the twinkling stage ignited the enthusiasm of the audience like fireworks!

Li Jun and Chang Lina were the hosts of the premiere, and they were also well-known partners in the industry. Cao Hao had spared no effort in inviting them to the premiere.

“Hello, everyone. Welcome to the premiere of the movie, ‘On the Bank of Qing River’. I’m the host, Li Jun.”

“And I’m Chang Lina.”

“I’m very happy to be the host of the premiere of such an excellent movie. Hey Lina, do you women really yearn for that kind of pure and romantic love?”

“Of course!” Chang Lina nodded seriously. “Every girl yearns to have a beautiful love of her own and especially hopes that it would be a handsome person she falls in love with…”

“Like…”

“Just like Cheng Mu, the male lead of this movie!” Chang Lina screamed and fangirled. “You know, this movie is the first time that Cheng Mu has put on the classic Zhongshan suit to film. I heard that he looks very handsome in that style!”

Li Jun gave a mysterious smile. “Then let’s enjoy Cheng Mu’s style in the movie first. It’s time for us all to look at the big screen!”