1. The Diner

Sally sighed as she set down yet another plate to the dishwasher. She wiped her hands on her apron and looked down at the cracked nail polish on her fingernails. She really needed to redo them, but they would only get cracked again, so what was the point.

She pushed the door to the dining room back open and grabbed her tray, filling it with drink cups. She headed over to a table and started handing them out.

"Alright folks, do you need anything else?" They all shook their heads and she nodded and headed back over to input their food order.

"Sally," one of her coworkers came running up to her. "Sally, please, can you take over this table? Please, I'm swamped. And it's only one guy." She begged, grabbing onto her arm.

She sighed. "I have like 5 tables already. Big families."

"I know. Please, Sally, please."

"Alright, fine. Which table is it?"

"6. Thank you so much."

She nodded and sent the order through to the kitchen. Then, grabbed her notepad and set off towards table 6.

"Good evening. What can I get for you today?" She asked, looking up at the man.

He stared right back up at her with Golden brown eyes, his hair falling in dark curls around his face, round glasses resting on his nose. He was dressed very nicely for a teenager, he had to be about her age, maybe a bit older.

"Hi darling." He said sweetly, accent dripping off of his lips like honey.

Wait... did she really just think that?

Something out of a fanfiction wtf.

Anyway...

"Can I just have a water please?" He asked.

"Yeah, sure, coming right up." She nodded and handed him a menu, then turning around and heading off to the kitchen to get him one.

Her friend was still standing there when she returned.

"How come you didn't tell me he was cute?"

"Because you wouldn't have taken it if you knew." She whispered back. "Besides, you need to get out more. He asked for you because he thought you were pretty. Go get your mans."

Sally rolled her eyes.

"Rose, come on now." She shook her head as she filled a glass with water. "You know I don't have time for things like that."

Rose shook her head.

"You're going to go talk to him. I'll cover your tables."

"No, Rose, wait-" But her friend was already gone.

She sighed and headed back over to his table.

"Here's that water for ya. So, what brings you out here? I haven't seen you around before." She asked, pulling out her pad again.

"Oh, you know. Just visiting. Looking for a place to stay for a while."

"Well welcome to Calmernock. We're a small little town, but I'm sure you'll like it here. Just far enough away from the Kingdom to not get wrapped up in politics." She laughed, but noticed his face harden at the mention of the kingdom. "Anyway, it's a nice place. There's an inn up the road if you need somewhere to stay."

"Thank you, I appreciate it." He took a drink of his water. "I didn't catch your name?"

"I'm Sally."

"It's nice to meet you, Sally. I'm Wilbur." She smiled.

"You have family around here?"

"No. My family all lives..." he paused. "Nearer to the Kingdom than this."

"That sounds nice. Where about?"

"Front Royal."

"Oh? Right up there near the castle, I see." She smiled. "What's it like?"

"What, the castle? Huge."

"Sure." She nodded. "What's it like being so near to the Royal family? Ever met them?"

"Yeah, a few times." He nodded. "It's different."

"Alright, I'll stop bothering you now. What can I get you to eat?"

~•~

"He still hasn't left." Rose whispered from where they were looking at Wilbur, behind a half wall.

"I know."

"We close in 5 minutes."

"I know."

"Someone has to go tell him."

"I know."

"Sally."

"What?"

"Go talk to him." Rose nudged her shoulder.

"What? Why me?"

"Because he's at your table." Rose shoved her again, harder. She pushed her friends hand away and walked to the table.

"Hi, Wilbur." She cleared her throat. "We do close in 5 minutes, just to let you know."

"Oh, good." Wilbur smiled. "I was hoping you closed soon." He stood. "Would you show me around?"

"It's nighttime."

"And?" Wilbur looked at her with this... look. This gleam in his eye. She sighed.

"I suppose I can. Wait outside and I'll be out in a few minutes."

~•~

Hello everyone!

Thank you for reading the first chapter!

I'm super excited about this book and I hope you all are too!

I hope you enjoyed!