16 - Meeting the Parents

I just finished delivering a big order for a group of university students when Taehyung walked into the bar. He had this expression on his face, as if there was something he really wanted to say but didn't know how to. 

       'My parents invited us for dinner!' he proclaimed without any greeting.

     'us?' I asked a bit tensed. 

      'Yes, they are really impatient to meet you. Ever since the business dinner my mom has been asking repeatedly when we are coming over together.'

      'When?' I asked as a follow up. 

       'I was thinking about coming Sunday?' Taehyung asked, which was quite soon but seeing Taehyung excited to introduce me to his parents moved my heart and I didn't want to ruin that. 

       'yes okay sure!' I answered with a little smile. 

And just like that Sunday arrived and both me and Taehyung, a bit nervously, stood in front of his parent's front door. 

     'Welcome to our home y/n' Mrs Kim greeted me with a genuine smile as soon as they opened the door. 

We did our greetings and we made our way to the dining table. Their house was amazing, but perhaps not surprising considering how loaded they were.

      'hey y/n, as you are a bartender, I wanted to show you something. Come with me.' Mr Kim said enthusiastically even before we sat down. 

I looked at Tae who looked like he had no idea what this was about.

I followed Mr Kim and noticed that Taehyung tagged along right behind us. We arrived in the kitchen and Mr Kim opened this big cabin. My mouth opened in awe when I saw the number of bottles displayed in front of me. 

Mr Kim chuckled 'you see I am a bit of an alcohol enthusiast myself and I was wondering; would you want to make us your signature cocktail? all bartenders have them right?'

I chuckled because he was right, we did.

      'Father, y/n is here as a guest, she is not working.' Taehyung pleaded disapprovingly.

      'No, honestly I would love to, this kind of collection is my dream so no problem' I quickly replied, it was the truth, to me, it was like a candy shop is for a little child.

      'Ah someone with a passion for their work I see. I appreciate that' Mr Kim laughed and I took a step forwards to the cabin.

      'Can I?' I asked while looking at Mr Kim

      'yes please' Mr Kim replied and I got out various bottles of what I needed.

Eventually, I made a cocktail for everyone and we ended back at the dinner table. 

        'y/n as I understood you delivered Taehyungs car, and that's how you two met each other? but you are also a bartender? isn't that quite exhausting?' Mrs Kim asked and I noticed she tried to suppress the tone of judgment.

        'I enjoy the bar a lot but I do need the work at the dealer for the extra money. Though I enjoy that too, and I have my mornings off instead of the evenings so my schedule is just a bit different.'

        'That's a good work ethic' Mr Kim indicated in a sincere tone and I looked at him gratefully.

I wanted to ask something in return, and also kind of take the attention away from myself.

       'And uhm if I may ask how did you two meet?'

It was Mr Kim who answered

     'My family wasn't well off either but I had the luck that I was born with a good set of brains. I made it my goal to be able to provide for my family at some point. I spent a lot of time trying to invent something new and eventually I succeeded. However, I needed investors. One time I was invited to a dinner event. It was pretty important because all the high class of Seoul would attend. Similar to Taehyung's business dinner basically.'