Chapter 21:

Karla knew that her family had to leave. But would they leave her behind. She noticed Charlie before trying to smile.
"Mom got a round trip ticket to France for graduation. She got three tickets. Do you want to come?" Charlie asked.
"No. Because you need the undivided attention from mom and dad. It's your gift and plus might get one next year for graduation. Go enjoy Europe. If I need to I can stay over at Johns place." Karla replied.
"You sure? I don't want you to feel like your left out." Charlie stated.
"Charlie, I promise it's fine. If it wasn't you would know. You deserve this." Karla stated
Charlie was suspicious on why Karla was trying to get rid of her along with Amelia and Martin. But she went along with it. Charlie knew it was better to ask questions later. Karla knew this was almost best case scenario for her family. She let John know what her sister told her and it might work in their favor.
"Charlie said you didn't want to go to France. Are you feeling okay?" Amelia asked.
"I'm fine. I just think she should spend time with you and dad. You know before she goes off to college and both you and dad are focusing on me and work. I know Charlie doesn't want to admit it but she deserves it. For helping to raise me and all." Karla stated.
"What are you going to do?" Amelia asked.
"Probably stay with John or have him stay over here. His parents are probably okay with it." Karla stated.
"Okay. Well if his sisters want to say over they are more than welcome too. But if you're more comfortable with John then you can have John over. Just make sure the house is clean before we come home." Amelia stated.
Karla knew that Amelia loved a clean house. John came over with both Valentina and Pandora. Karla was still surprised that her and Valentina were getting along. Karla let them in and saw Damien bring in a few bags.
"Do I even want to know?" Karla asked in a low voice.
"Valentina saw a few weeks ago that her and Pandora were staying over. So when John got the text she thoughts that what it meant." Damien replied.
"Well maybe it's a good thing the rest of my family is leaving for a while." Karla mumbled.
Damien smirked as Karla rolled her eyes. Karla brought a few bags upstairs as Valentina and Pandora were making themselves comfortable. Karla knew that this was more for her protection than anything. So it was a good thing that her family was leaving. She hugged her sister before closing the door.
"So. What are we going to do?" Valentina asked.
"I wasn't really planning on them leaving so I don't have anything planned. If you guys want you can do a perimeter run. Look for the guy who is trying to hurt me." Karla stated.
"And leave you defenseless? Ain't happening. John would kill us. Both literally and figuratively." Pandora stated.
Karla weakly smiled as she turned on the tv. She knew that she needed an escape from her reality. Or what her reality had become. She hoped that that things got better for her and her family. Especially in their absence. But there was no way to know that. She only hoped that they would catch this guy so she could have a life again where she didn't have to worry about looking over her shoulder if someone was coming after her.
"I know John wants to protect me but is this really the way to do it? I could have camped out at your place so at least I don't need a babysitter." Karla groaned.
"We're not babysitting you. We're friends. And we just so happen to be hanging out while your family is out of the county." Pandora stated.
"I'm still warming up to her. But I do consider you a friend. Even if we aren't close." Valentina stated.
Karla smiled at Valentinas comment. She knew that she was warming up to Valentina and that she was happy to hear that they both consider each other friends. Things were definitely changing and for the better between them even if things were still awkward.
"Do you guys sleep?" Karla blurted out.
"No. But thanks for giving us our own rooms. We think it might be better if we didn't sleep anyways so we can make sure no one is getting close to the house. We think someone might if they think your home alone." Pandora stated.
"John might be on parole in the tree line. Also with our parents. You know what happened with them right? How they got together?" Valentina asked.
"Um. Rune told me a simmered down version but think there was more to it. Don't think he wanted to make Belladonna upset about talking about the ex wife and children he abandoned." Karla replied.
Valentina smiled before Pandora hit her. Karla wish she knew what it was they were thinking. Pandora looked at her and smiled. Karla went and order pizza for the three of them as Karla turned on a movie.
"It's not one of those vampire movies is it?" Pandora asked.
"Well you read minds. You should know the answer to your own questions smart one." Karla replied. "And no. It's not one of those vampire movies. Even if I didn't know your secret still wouldn't chose a vampire movie. We were banned from watching them as children."
"Well it's a good thing. The last thing I read was Dracula before I was changed. And still haven't recovered." Valentina stated.
Karla giggled as she got the pizza and a soda for her. She didn't know what they drank so they each got a soda for themselves as well. Karla knew that this would end up being a great night. And she only wished that she had Genevieve and Mary here. But as far as she was concerned Genevieve was working and Mary was getting ready to go in her families trip somewhere that would make everyone feel jealous.
"Well what's the real reason you didn't want to go to France?" Pandora asked.
"Well the reason what I told Charlie. That she deserves both of my parents undivided attention. Plus if their out of the county I don't have to worry about them finding out. I think it's better. If they end up loving it that will be great for them. My parents could move next year when I graduate and be happy they are empty nesters." Karla replied.
She knew that was the reason why she always told herself. That it would be easier with them gone. But know that her family was gone she didn't know if it was what she wanted. She was happy that they are giving Charlie attention. Things needed to change but to also stay the same.
"We can go to France next summer." Valentina stated.
"Can we get threw this one first?" Karla asked.
"Sure. Johns doing a perimeter check then he's going to make sure you sleep." Pandora replied.
Karla hated how reliant she had become on John she had become to help her sleep. She loved that John was there to help her sleep but she wished that she could sleep without him. But Karla was glad that John was there to help her sleep rather than him not care. John was in her room when she went up there. John had told her that Rune and Aleister found a trail for Alexander and was on his trail.
"No promises that this is the end. But hopefully this will be the end." John stated.
"They could get him. If they need you go. I don't want to make you think twice about it." Karla stated.
"I will do what I think it right okay. And protecting you is what is right." John stated.
John felt Karla lay on his chest. John started playing with Karla's hair as he looked out the window. He kissed Karla on the head thinking if she was right. If his family needed him would he go in order to protect her. His life revolves around Karla and making sure that she was okay. He was never sure that she was okay while away from her. It was when he saw her is that he let out that unnecessary breath that wasn't needed. As he looked down at Karla's sleeping figure that's when he knew that he couldn't let her out of his sight in this vulnerable state. He was hoping that Aleister and Rune didn't need his help while protecting her. Things were going to be different now because he was going to protect Karla or he was going to die trying. He just hoped that if it was the latter that Karla knew that he did it in order to protect her.
"This is a life I don't want for you. But if you want it I will give it to you. I can't see myself with anyone else my love." John stated.
He smiled at Karla before pulling her closer to him. These were the moments he loved. The ones where Karla was close to him and he felt her warmth. These were the moments he knew he could never get tired of. He meant what he said and he knew when he wanted to change her. He just hoped that she agreed to it.