Chapter 3:

The next day Y/N stood in front of the closed door of Levi's office while mentally preparing what she wanted to say. 'Am I supposed to thank him? Or maybe pretend as nothing happened and just do my job?' she asked herself. Either way, she knew once she stepped, it was going to be an awkward situation.

She sighed and finally decided to knock. "Come in," she heard and pushed the door. Levi was sitting at his desk like usual. "Good morning, sir," she said, closing the door behind her. Levi seemed to ignore her since he didn't even bother to look at her. "Well... I just wanted to thank you for what you did yesterday. How you lied to my sister for me. It really means a lot to me what she and my family think of me. So the fact that you-" she said but got interrupted by Levi.

"Don't think about it so much. It was nothing," he said while doing paperwork. "But I-," she tried to explain.

"Look, it's none of my business what problems you have with telling your family what you do for a living. I only helped you out of that situation yesterday as a favor. There's no need to make a big deal out of it." Levi mocked.

"I understand..." she said, taking the broom. "I'll clean the room and get out as soon as I'm done, so I don't bother you anymore," she mumbled.

"If you can at least do that correctly," he said in a sarcastic tone. Y/N widened her eyes as she turned around to face him. "What do you mean?" she asked, overwhelmed.

"Yesterday after you left, your sister told me about how happy she was that you had a decent job. Apparently, you sucked so much at last year's training corps that you weren't even able to graduate." Levi snapped.

"She told you that?" Y/N said as she felt how the tears started to form in her eyes.

"It's honestly surprising if you ask me. Your sister is an amazing and skilled cadet. The least I would've expected was for her little sister to become a maid just because she was so terrible at training. Not to mention your cleaning is lamentable as well," Levi said. Suddenly, Levi heard the sound of the wooden broomstick hitting the ground. This ended up catching his attention. He finally looked up and noticed Y/Ns' posture.

Levi watched as Y/N now looked down, hunched, while hiding the tears that were slowly rolling down her face. She was now clenching her teeth as she tightly gripped her dress with both hands. Now he was slightly surprised by her sudden change of emotions. It was not his intention to make her cry. Everything he had said he meant, but he wasn't expecting this to happen. He wasn't used to people crying over something he said. People were usually quick to get angry at his comments or start a physical fight.

"You don't get it," Y/N said, finally looking up, unable to hide her tears anymore. "It's always about her being the better sister," she said, cracking a smile in pain while crying. "My parents have extremely high expectations, you know? They both are extremely proud of Anna and her accomplishments. I am constantly looking up to her in the hopes that one day I'll be nearly as good as her. My parents are already disappointed that I didn't even manage to graduate. How do you think they will feel when they find out I work as a maid, huh?" she cried as her voice cracked in between lines.

She saw how Levi was now looking at her with his eyes so wide open it seemed they were about to pop out any second. She couldn't tell if he was confused, shocked, or both at the same time.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled, wiping her tears with her sleeve. "You probably think I'm cry baby now," she said, trying to smile while holding back her tears. "I don't want to bore you with my personal problems," she said, bending down to pick the broom lying on the floor. "I'm sorry for the inconvenience, sir, but I think I'll have to call someone else to finish cleaning your office for me. I really don't feel like I'm able to do that right now," she said, trying to sound as casual as possible while still fighting back the tears.

Y/N collected all of her cleaning supplies and went out the door, leaving Levi behind confused. He wanted to stop her, but at the same time, he didn't know why. Until then, he had not cared at all about the feelings of others. Mostly because people would usually react aggressively or stubbornly instead of vulnerably. He didn't even know what he was supposed to say in that situation. It wasn't his intention for this to happen.