Chapter 9

"It's delicious," Y/N said as she sipped her tea. Y/N and Levi ended up going to the Mess Hall, which at the time was empty.

"Of course it is. What did you expect?" Levi said, sitting on the other side of the table, sipping on his tea as well.

"Well, I'm not a tea person, but you sure enjoy it, don't you?" Y/N said, looking at Levi. "The caffeine helps you stay awake," Levi said carelessly. "Also. It tastes good."

"You don't tend to sleep enough, do you? That night when you saved me from those men, you were awake for hours taking care of me. You also helped me clean the offices." Y/N mentioned remembering that day.

"I don't get much sleep in general. I usually sleep around 3 to 4 hours. That is if I get any sleep at all," he said. "I see..." Y/N said.

Levi wasn't very talkative. At least not at that moment. While Levi kept drinking his tea, Y/N gave him a good look. She could see the bags underneath his eyes and how his half-closed eyes made him seem tired and bored at the same time. Y/N then looked down at his cup. How he seemed to cover most of the top with the palm of his hand instead of suing the grip. 'That's an unusual way to hold a mug,' she thought as she rested her head on both of her hands while slightly leaning forward.

"Why do you hold your cup like that?"
Y/N asked, looking at his hands. Instead of holding the handle as most did, he would cover the entire cup of the top of the mug with his hand.

"You sure ask a lot of questions, don't you?" Levi snapped, annoyed. "Sorry to annoy you. Please forgive me, sir," she said, looking down as she went back to formally speaking to him.

The truth was Y/N felt like Levi by now knew many facts about her personal life, but she didn't know anything about him. Sometimes she would forget she was an ordinary maid and he was an authority, not a friend or equal.

"Stop it with the exaggerated formalities. It is weird by now," he said in a harsh tone." For now, just call me Levi," he said. "Ok si- I mean Levi," Y/N said, nodding down.

There was an awkward silence where they both avoided eye contact until Levi decided to break the silence. Levi sighed. "To be frank with you..." Levi said, catching Y/N's attention. "When I was younger, I saved up to buy black tea and a nice teacup, and well, the handle broke and the cup shattered," Levi said, picking up his teacup in his unusual way. "So I got used to holding my cup like this instead," he said before sipping his tea.

"That is understandable," Y/N said, looking away, not trying to get much into the topic. He was uncomfortable answering questions about himself, so she decided to drop it.

"Now, I'll ask you a question," Levi said, putting his empty cup down, catching Y/n's attention once again. "Why exactly did you fail to graduate from the Training Corps? As far as I know, it's not very hard to graduate," Levi said.

"Well, I couldn't manage to use the ODM gear. It didn't matter how hard I tried using it. Every time I tried, I would just end up hurting myself or others," she said, embarrassed of herself.

"Believe it or not, it's quite easy once you get the hold of it," Levi said.

"I can imagine, but I was never able to. I eventually got kicked out" Y/N said.

"I can imagine you were one of the best cadets when you were in the Training Corps," Y/N said, smiling at him.

"I was never in the training corps. No one showed me how to fight with ODM gear. I'm self-taught," Levi clarified.

"Huh?" Y/N asked, confused. Levi sighed, annoyed. He noticed how this girl would keep asking him more and more questions no matter what he said, so he decided to come clean.

"To make it short. I used to live in the underground with some friends. I used ODM gear to steal and move around faster to escape from the Military Police, and one day I got recruited to join the Survey Corps after they found out how skilled I was with the ODM gear," he said.

Y/N didn't expect Levi to open up like that. Especially after clearly showing how annoyed he was at her questions. "Thank you for telling me," she said, hiding the urge to smile and completely failing at it.

Suddenly they both heard steps coming closer. They both turned towards the door that was swung open "Levi. Would you mind having a word with me?" Tall blonde men said, looking over at the two.

Commander Erwin of the Scouts stood in the doorframe as Levi excused himself, stood up, and walked over to the tall man. Y/N remained on the table as she finished the tea while unintentionally listening to their conversation behind the door.

"Look, it's been more than a week, and no one has shared any ideas," is what she heard. She instantly knew what they were talking about. Her sister told her how they were trying to find a way to reduce the number of victims during expeditions. Y/N actually had some ideas on how this would work but doubted anyone would take pictures from a maid.

"I'll talk to my squad tomorrow and recruit ideas on what we can do. I can't promise you anything, but I'll try as best as I can," Y/N heard Levi say. Y/N took a deep breath before standing up and walking towards the semi-closed door where Erwin and Levi stood. She was ready to be shut down, but at the same time, she thought there was no harm in trying to present some ideas she had thought about.

"Excuse me, sir," she said as she slightly widened the door. Erwin and Levi both looked at her, confused as to what she had to say. "I may have some ideas that may interest you," Y/N said, trying not to stutter as she looked down.

"Y/N, please stay out of this," Levi said, putting his hand on her shoulder, signalizing her to go back to his office. "No, no, Levi. Please, let her speak," Erwin said, catching Y/N off of the guard. "Tch," Levi said, removing his hand from her shoulder and crossing his arms.

"Please, Miss, what did you want to say?" Erwin said in a kind, respectful way. "Well, you said you wanted to lower the number of the victims during expeditions. I think the best way to do this is by using a proper formation by dividing the scouts into different teams," Y/N said as she looked up to see Erwin trying to process her idea.

"Go on..." Erwin said. "Right! So.., if we divided the scouts into equally skilled groups, the scouts would be able to investigate different areas at the same time," Y/N said. She looked over at Levi, who was rolling his eyes after listening to her idea.

"That would, in fact, only increase difficulties. Some teams may run into titans and die in combat. Their deaths would remain unknown for a long time until the rest of the scouts noticed," Erwin explained.

"What I was thinking was using flares in different colors to signalize different situations," Y/N said. Levi faced her, surprised as he thought more and more of what she had just said, and he realized that maybe her idea wasn't as bad as he thought. Erwin seemed to feel the same.

"The use of flares," Erwin asked as Diana organized her thought on how to explain her idea to the commander.

"As far as I'm informed, the Garrison Regiment uses flares constantly to report and issue to the other cadets. Why no use them for expeditions as well? Maybe if one group comes in contact with a titan, they could use a flare to alert the others. This way, all of the scouts would be informed, know where titans are and who might need help," Y/N said. Erwin raised his eyebrows, surprised. For some reason, he had never thought of using garrison equipment during his expeditions. The idea was actually good, and what he hadn't expected was getting that idea from a regular maid.

"That could actually work..." Erwin said as he thought of a way to make this happen. He looked down at the small maid and asked, "Tell me, how come a maid like you knows so much about this?" Erwin asked, "My sister is in the survey corps. She tends to inform me a lot about her expeditions" Diana replied, looking away.

"I see..." Erwin said as he looked down at the girl. "Thank you for your idea. It might help us during expeditions," he said.