Chapter 6:

"Well-" Y/N said insecurely. "A lot of people don't know, but... my family is quite wealthy," Y/N said, feeling shameful. "They both live in the inner district and serve the king," she said.

"If your family has that much money, then why do you work as a maid?" Levi asked, confused. "My parents were both in the Military Police, you know? They both managed to get perfect scores, just like Anna did back then. So when they found out that I wasn't even able to graduate, they were extremely disappointed and ashamed of me. Mostly because, according to them, I was constantly humiliating the family name. They both started to constantly ignore me, pretend I didn't exist..." she said, looking at her reflection in her tea. "Now we are basically strangers who share a last name," she said as she smiled in pain.

"I see," Levi said. His eyes filled with compassion. "So now I finally got a job, and well, here I am now," she said, trying to sound optimistic, which she was definitely failing at.

"You don't have to pretend to be ok with it. It is clear that you're still hurt from the situation." Levi said, rolling his eyes. "Maybe you're right," Y/N mumbled. "Regardless, I can't change anything anymore," she said in sorrow.

There was a long silence where Levi looked at Y/N while she was simply thoughtfully staring at the floor. "Well, I should get going. It's very late, and I have to come back tomorrow to clean again," Y/N said as she finished drinking her tea and putting it aside.

"Don't be stupid. You just woke up from a concussion. Your head would still bleed if it weren't for that bandage around your head," Levi said, snapping at her.

Levi was right. Even if she was awake now, it didn't mean her head was better now. Y/N could still feel the constant pulsing coming from her wound, and the unbearable headache wasn't helping either. Regardless of that, she felt like a burden at that moment. The captain had already done enough by saving her from those people. She didn't want to bother him any longer.

"No, seriously. I'm good now. I just need to get home," she said, standing up. The dizziness then kicked in all at once, and she could feel her environment spinning like crazy. She would've fallen to the ground if it wasn't for Levi, quickly noticing her vertigo and stepping in to hold her as she fell into his arms.

"Stop being so ignorant! You'll end up hurting yourself even more if you try going home now. You're staying here for today. End of discussion!" Levi demanded aggressively, with Y/N still in his arms.

Y/N, still with her head spinning and her eyes slightly rolling to the back of her head, managed to nod, agreeing with what Levi had said without resisting anymore. Levi proceeded to carefully place her back down on the chair before he stepped away from her and sat down at his desk.

"If you don't mind me asking," Y/N said, catching Levi's attention. "Could you please not mention any of this to my sister." she asked with the last bit of energy she had. At this point, Y/N sounded drunk and sluggish at the same time. Levi got confused at the random question.

"You sure keep a lot of secrets from your family don't you?," he said, rolling his eyes. "I really don't want her to worry about me for something like this," Y/N said, still in her dull tone, struggling to keep her eyes open.

"Fine then," he said, ending the conversation. "Thank you," Y/N said, finally closing her eyes and passing out. Levi looked at her. How she was now sleeping with her left cheek pressed against the headrest of the chair.

Levi looked at her. She looked so peaceful and vulnerable at the same time. He stood up from his chair and untied his cloak from around his neck. Levi walked towards Y/N and covered her with the cloak, which she unconsciously snuggled herself into while still sleeping.

"You're always burying and hiding your sorrow for the sake of others, aren't you?" he asked rhetorically, knowing perfectly that Y/N couldn't hear him.