Chapter 8:

A couple of days had passed, and Y/N seemed to continue her usual lifestyle. Cleaning most of the time around headquarters and managing a low salary and occasionally chatting with her sister while she pretended to be something she was not.

As for her and Levi, nothing new had happened besides Levi not complaining about her cleaning anymore. They would occasionally greet each other but only in a respectful "superior/inferior" way. Lately, Y/N had noticed how Levi was acting differently than how she had met him. It seemed like a lot was going through his head at the moment.

'He's probably just busy or stressed over something. After all, he was the captain and probably had many responsibilities concerning the scouts,' Y/N thought as she strolled down the market trying to buy groceries.

'Did you listen to what I said, Y/N?' Anna asked, snapping Y/N out of her thoughts. "Oh, sorry, what were you saying?" Y/N asked, trying to pay attention.

"What is it that you're thinking about anyway?" she asked, annoyed. "Oh, nothing. Just work, I guess," she lied, looking away. "Oh, so I suppose you're going through a stressful time as well then," Anna said as they kept walking. "What do you mean?" Y/N asked, confused. "You know how Levi has been stressed lately about the expeditions. Apparently, he and Commander Erwin are trying to find a way to reduce the deaths when going on expeditions outside the walls. Lately, more and more scouts have died because of the titans," Anna informed. 'So that's why he's been acting so strange,' Y/N thought.

Y/N and Anna kept walking through the market. Occasionally stopping to buy single items now and then, until Y/N stopped to look at the tea stand they were passing by.

Lately, she had been thinking about a way to thank Levi for saving and taking care of her that day. She wanted to give him something small to show her gratitude. Something she knew he would like. The problem was she didn't know much about him at all besides that he was a clean freak and had trouble sleeping. She remembered how that night when he took care of her, he offered her tea, so her first impression was that he probably liked tea as well.

Anna stopped, noticing Y/N looking at the tea stand and letting a chuckle out. "I can only imagine how many teacups you have to prepare for Levi," Anna teased her. Y/N had almost forgotten how her older sister still believed she was working as Levi's personal assistant. She was planning on telling her...at some point.

"Yeah, you guessed it," Y/N said awkwardly. She stepped closer to the tea stand and started going through the different types of tea. The guy in the stand smiled at them and started explaining what made each tea special. Something about different aromas, textures, and flavors. A lot of information she didn't understand. Her intention was only to buy something Levi would enjoy.

"What about his one," the man said as he searched for something. "It's our best tea. You won't find a better quality within the walls," he stated, handing Y/N a jar filled with black tea.

As soon as Y/N found out the price, she looked at the bag in shock. Who would've thought some leaves you boil in water could be so expensive.

"Oh, that's actually Levi's favorite tea," Anna casually mentioned, only making Y/N's urge to buy it even bigger.

...

"Come in," Levi said, sitting on his desk, leaning his head on his hand while being overwhelmed with the situation. Y/N cracked the door open, slightly sticking her head in the room, not being sure if it was the right time or not. "Good evening, sir," Y/N said awkwardly. She immediately noticed it was not the right time just from looking at Levi's body language. His frowned face was more prominent than usual. Levi hadn't bothered to greet her back this time. He just glanced at her waiting for her to say whatever she wanted to say.

"Actually, I think it's better if I stop by at a different time. Excuse me," Y/N said as she intended to close the door but was cut off by Levi. "What is it, Y/N?" he asked, irritated as he rolled his eyes. Y/N decided to open the door and stepped in, holding the tea jar in her hand as she walked towards Levi.

"I wanted to properly thank you for saving me that day, sir. So I decided to get something for you as a way to thank you," Y/N said, trying not to stutter from how nervous she was before handing him the tea she had bought for him.

Levi sat there frozen, looking at the bag. He was surprised that someone had taken the time to buy him something they knew he liked. He wasn't used to getting many presents and couldn't understand why she had bought him tea.

"Why did you- I- well-...not bad...thanks," he said, not knowing what to say as he took the teabag, feeling slightly uncomfortable in a good way.

"Wait, is this..." Levi said, noticing something about the tea. He took a closer look at the tea he had just gotten. "Why would you buy this?" Levi asked, surprising Y/N. "Do you not like it?" she asked, getting worried.

"Do you know how expensive this tea is? Why would you buy it yourself?" Levi asked, getting slightly angry at her. "I just wanted to thank you for want you did, and I heard that tea was your favorite," Y/N said, looking down, making Levi feel a little bad.

"It is, but..." Levi said, trying to calm down. "This tea alone is like a third of your monthly salary," he said, finally lowering his voice. "Look, I'll accept it this time, but please don't buy this expensive stuff for the sake of me," Levi said, standing up from his desk.

There was an awkward silence between the two before Levi broke the silence. "Well. If you bought it, you might try it as well. After all, it is very nice quality," Levi said, inviting Y/N. "Could you prepare this for us?" he asked, taking Y/N by surprise.