Chapter 10:

"I'm going to an expedition tomorrow so be sure to clean the office as I taught you before I'm back" Levi said as he put on his uniforms jacket.

"Don't worry. I will" Y/N said smiling as she stood in front of him. "For your information, Commander Erwin decided to use your strategy during the expedition"

Y/N remembered the conversation between her and Levi before he left. She never expected the commander to actually carry out her idea during an expedition. A couple of months after she presented her idea, Erwin had taken the time with research and investigations. He had spent almost an entire month improving the grove idea that Y/N had given him. She felt overwhelmed by the idea of it not working out the way she planned. If that was the case, everything would be her fault.

Y/N swiped threw Levi's office while thinking about everything that could go wrong. Many weeks had passed after the last time she saw him and as much as she didn't want to admit it, she missed him. His presence, his clean smell and even how picky he was when it came to cleanliness.

At the same time she was worried he might get himself hurt. Everyone, including her, knew he was humanity's strongest soldier yet in the back of her head, the fear of Levi getting hurt haunted her. Until then, he was one of the few people Y/N could call a friend, or at least a close acquaintance. At least that's what she wanted to believe.

Y/N's thoughts were cut off by someone opening the door. She glanced over at the door as he saw the tired man walk into the office. He seemed tired. The eye bags underneath his eyes were more profound than normally. Levi took his cloak off and stopped in front of Y/N.  She looked at him enlightened. All of her worries for Levi's safety seemed to vanished in that moment.

There he was, the same guy with the same emotionless expression. Y/N felt joy just by seeing he was alive. She stepped towards him with a big smile "Sir, you're ba-"

"Yes, I'm back" Levi said annoyed, cutting her off and stopping her from walking towards him any further by slightly shoving Y/N away with his finger on her forehead. Clearly bothered by the lack of personal space. "And what did I tell you about the 'Sir' thing? Just call me Levi" he said walking towards his desk aggressively with a bunch of papers on his hand.

"Yes, right..." Y/N said surprised and worried at the same time because of his attitude. Levi sighed and sat down as he slammed the papers against the desk and went through them. Y/N looked at him while he focused his attention on the documents.

"What are you doing?" Y/N asked trying to strike conversation. "My favourite task of all after expeditions" he said sarcastically "Doing all of the paperwork that needs to be done for everyone who died during the expedition and informing their families about it..." he said with a sad tone in his voice looking down.

"I'm very sorry to hear that..." Y/N said before there was silence again.

"Commander Erwin wants to see you. He said you can meet him at his office" Levi said making Y/N anxious. She started stuttering, hardly getting a sentence out of her mouth "D-Did the- the plan not work as planned?" Y/N asked nervously. "No, not only did it work as planned. It worked too well. Death rates were reduced by a very considerable amount"

Y/N widened her eyes surprised. Not only by the fact that her tactic had worked but also that Levi seemed to be annoyed by that statement.

"Look, I recommend you to go to the commanders office. He will explain everything" Levi said trying to sound more calm. Y/N nodded and walked out of the room, leaving an overwhelmed Levi behind.

Y/N made her way to the commanders office and took a deep breath as she stood in front of the closed door. She knocked on the door and a few seconds later Commander Erwin instructed her to come in. There he was. With his back facing her as he looked out the window. "Captain Levi told me to meet you sir"

"Yes, Y/N. I wanted to talk about your tactic" Erwin said facing towards her direction. "I suppose Levi already told you. It was a big success." Erwin said proudly as he stepped more closely towards her. "Yes, he may have mentioned it" Y/N said remembering his unexpected reaction.

"Y/N, have you ever noticed any pattern among the survey corps cadets?" Erwin asked calmly. Y/N stood there, quiet as she didn't fully understand what the commander was intending with that question. Erwin seemed to noticed this.

"None of them are the same. That's a fact. But whats important is that they all have the same objectives; protect humanity, research titans, explore what's outside the walls...Some of them may not be good in combat but exceptional at strategies. Others are good at observing and remembering small details about titans" Erwin said clarifying.

"I suppose they're all great working as a team" Y/N said still confused as to what the commander wanted to accomplish with the conversation.

"Exactly" Erwin said turning around "They all benefit from each other in some way"

Erwin made a step forward. Y/N noticed how tall the men actually was. At least six feet tall.

"I talked to Commander Keith.  It's been more than two years but he seems to remember you. He mentioned to me that you trained last year with the training corps, but lacked the necessary skills to graduate" Erwin mentioned.

Y/N looked down, still embarrassed from that fact. "I looked at your records and noticed to that your academic skills were a lot better compared to your practical skills" Erwin said.

Y/N felt one of the commanders big hands suddenly resting on her shoulder making her look up to him. "We could use your planning skills and knowledge. I would appreciate if you devoted your heart and decided to join the survey corps"