Chapter 13:

"Your moves have gotten better," Levi said as Y/N wiped the sweat off her forehead.

"Thank you. It's all thanks to you, sir," Y/N said happily, giving him a gentle smile.

"You still have to keep training. But I guess with this, you can at least move around."

The sun was about to set, and Levi had trained Y/N the entire day. It wasn't the first time Levi had trained someone on how to use ODM gear, after all. Training with her made him feel slightly melancholic, though, remembering how many of his comrades and friends that he had trained had died...

"Sir?" Y/N asked, noticing Levi getting lost in thought.

Levi shook his head, trying not to think too much about the deaths of other scouts. Everyone knew that once you joined the Survey Corps, you could pretty much say goodbye to everyone you ever cared for. Before every mission, no one actually knew who'd make it back home.

"I think it's enough for today. You did well," he said with his usual cold voice. Y/N had gotten used to it by now. "Although... there is a place that I'd like to show you..." he said as she noticed his eyes getting darker for some odd reason.

Levi guided her to the top of Wall Rose with the help of the ODM gear. She managed to get up with almost no problem, feeling proud of herself as she made it to the top. The sun was setting down. It was peaceful and surprisingly quiet.

Y/N stood there in silence as she saw the broad horizon that stretched outside of the walls, reminding her that there was so much more right outside of them...and for a moment, it seemed like everything she worried about wasn't actually that important after all.

As Y/N stood there in silence contemplating the view, Levi couldn't stop looking at her. That look in her eyes as she saw the beauty of nature, which he, for so many years, was unaware of, reminded him of himself...

That moment of silence and peace got interrupted by the sudden noises coming from right beneath. Y/N snapped out of her peaceful moment and slowly walked to the edge of the wall, trying to see where the noise was coming from.

Underneath her were about 5 or 6 medium-sized titans, all helplessly trying to climb up the wall to reach them in a way that seemed desperate.

Y/N suddenly felt her feet becoming heavier than usual as she looked down at the titans, and her eyes widened in fear. It was as if she was completely frozen.

Levi noticed this as he was still looking at her and how her body reacted. He knew exactly what this was. From what he knew, she had never seen a titan before. Just like many other scouts, her reaction was completely normal. Most of them would freeze, causing their gruesome deaths to happen.

"Y/N... There is something that most scouts aren't good at, no matter how much they train," Levi said as he took a step closer to her, positioning himself right behind her as she still stood there frozen.

"Do you know what that is...?" Levi said, almost whispering. "Being able to react, even when faced with death" Y/N slowly turned her head, slightly confused at his statement, with the intention of facing Captain Levi but instead felt Levi's palm swiftly coming into contact with her back as she felt a firm push toward the fall in front of her.

Her thoughts immediately started to spin in those few seconds as she hurtled through the air. Why? Why had he done that? Why would he push her like that off the edge? Her heart was pounding wildly as she felt herself unable to react to what was going on. Her mind raced as she felt the adrenaline pumping through her entire body.

As she was about to reach the titans, almost without noticing, her body tensed up and reacted almost unwillingly. Her hands reached for the handles of the ODM gear, aiming at the wall, hoping that it would save her. One side of the ODM gear attached to the wall while the other side didn't, making her lose control of her posture as she got aggressively pulled towards the wall from her left side, making her slam her body against the wall brutally.