Chapter 11:

Y/N looked at the commander speechless. "L/N?" Erwin said breaking the uncomfortable silence. "Oh, well...I-" Y/N said.

"I understand this may come off unexpected but after thinking it through I believe it would benefit our expeditions" Erwin mentioned.

"I... I don't know what to say" Y/N said looking down. "I don't want to force you to take such an important decision so rapidly. I also don't want to force you to join the scouts. I'm just letting you know that you're a young woman that could definitely help not only the survey corps during expeditions but also humanity in general." Erwin said.

"I really appreciate those words coming from you  sir, but..." Y/N said trying to force a smile "I think I have to think about this more clearly before giving you my final answer" she said. "I fully understand that" Erwin said "I Hope you think this through and consider joining the scouts"

She walked back to Levi's office. Worried about what to do. She opened the door to the office only to find Levi waiting for her. Y/N slowly closed the door, uncomfortable by Levi's glare. "So commander Erwin made you an offer didn't he?" Levi asked.

"Seems like you already knew" Y/N said tired of his attitude. "I hope you took the right decision and rejected that stupid offer" Levi glared.

"I actually am not sure if I should accept it or not to be honest with you" Y/N said annoyed as she slowly walked around the office trying to avoid looking at him. It was obvious that Levi didn't want her to join the survey corps which she understood. She would probably be a more of a burden than helpful for the team.

"Are you out of your mind? You can't even defend yourself. How do you plan on surviving out there?" Levi said raising his voice.

"I am not sure, but maybe this could be my only opportunity to help humanity in some way"  said not scared anymore to talk back.

"We both know that as soon as you step out of these walls you'll become titan food. Is that what you want?" Levi yelled.

"If it means that I'll at least help humanity out in any way then I will die knowing that my life wasn't worthless"  Y/N yelled back.

"Tch" Levi scuffed. "You don't have any idea of what you're talking about" he said giving her a last glare before walking out of his office and slamming the door behind him leaving Y/N alone in the room.

'Why are you like this?' Y/N thought holding back her tears. She had always hated confrontation and being yelled at. As much as she didn't want to admit it, the fact that it was Levi yelling at her made the situation even worse.

Some minutes went by and Y/N had already calmed down. She realized that cleaning the office made her keep her thoughts about the argument aside. Unluckily for her the only thing she could think off as she made her way back home after a long work day was the offer that commander Erwin had made her.

She didn't even know for sure why she hadn't accepted the offer in that very moment. It's not like she enjoyed being a maid and getting yelled at for doing things the wrong way. Until then the only good thing about being a maid was meeting Levi and even that was starting to get out of the question.

Y/N sighed and knew what she had to do. What she had always wanted to do.

...

"What is that stubborn brat even thinking?" Levi whispered to himself as he walked around the building. It's not that he wasn't proud of her plan. They hadn't had such a low death rate in years during an expedition. It was the fact that Erwins plan about her joining the scouts was completely reckless.

Levi had made some research about her as soon as he heard from Erwin's plan. She had absolutely no idea on how to operate the ODM gear, slice a titans nape or even defend herself for that matter.

The 104th cadets were about to graduate after 3 years. Erwins plan was for one of the scouts to train her and teach her how to use ODM gear correctly and kill titans within a month. After that she was supposed to join the 104th training cadets in hopes to graduate with them. Only then could she join the Survey Corps. But was that even possible? And how was she supposed to survive once she had to face a real titan? She's way to inexperienced.

After taking a short walk to organize his thoughts and calm down, Levi decided to go back to his office expecting to find Y/N there.

He opened the door only to find an empty room.

"Where the hell is she now?" Levi whispered to himself. He waited around a couple of minutes but she didn't come back until way later.

A couple of hours had passed and Levi was still waiting impatiently for Y/N to show up.

Levi heard a knock on his door.

"Sir, can I come in?" Y/N asked though the door."Yes come in" Levi said frowning since he knew where she had been.

Y/N stepped into his office and there it was again: an awkward silence between the two. "Look...Y/N, I really need you to think this through. Most of the cadets who join the survey corps will be dead within the next 5 years. It is way to risky for you to join this unexpectedly" Levi said calmly breaking the silence.

"I don't care" Y/N said looking up at him. Levi slightly flinched at her reckless answer. "All my life I've been seen as a failure. By everyone... especially my parents... I'm afraid of not achieving anything important in my life. To die knowing that everything I did was worthless" Y/N said.

Levi looked at her. Knowing that it didn't matter how much he tried to convince her. She had already made her choice.

"I came by just to inform you that starting next week I'll no longer be at your service as a maid" Y/N said avoiding eye contact. "I see" Levi simply said.

"I accepted commander Erwins offer." Y/N said "Starting next week I'll start my training in hopes to graduate along with the 104th training cadets" Y/N said.

Levi sighed, walked past her towards the door and opened it. "I hope you eventually realize how stupid the decision you just took really is" Levi said snapping at her. He turned around before closing the door again, leaving Y/N behind.

Y/N clenched her teeth but eventually sighed trying to not stress herself out anymore. She herself knew it was a stupid idea of her to take that decision. How was she supposed to learn anything in just a couple of weeks?

Y/N worked that last week. Cleaning as usually. Trying to keep her thoughts clear and not letting fear make her regret her final decision. Levi seemed to ignore her those couple of days. She would sometimes see him walk by without even making eye contact or greeting her. He would sometimes purposely aggressively bump into her shoulder as he walked past her on the opposite side of the same corridor. Y/N would try to ignore this as much as she could and pretend like it didn't hurt her. Not because of him bumping into her but because of his obvious annoyance towards her.

Last day of the week, after work Y/N changed for the last time out of her maid outfit. She got dressed and ended up giving her uniform back.

She didn't want to admit it but she was scared. Scared to fail. Scared to make the same mistakes she made when she had initially joined the training corps almost 3 years ago. Getting out of her comfort zone was definitely a challenge for her. Knowing that she was giving up the stable minimal income job she had struggled to get, scared her.