Chapter One

My eyes slowly peel open to the soft simmers of light peeking through my white curtains. A yawn stumbles out of my mouth whilst I turn over on my side, snuggling the thick comforter over my shoulder. I glance at the glass alarm clock reading the time: 5:30am. I click my tongue against the roof of my mouth in distaste. I've been waking up at the same time for a week straight.

I sit up in my elevated bed and lean against the wooden frame. I run my hand through my disheveled chestnut hair and decide to get up. My legs swing over the side of the bed and slide down onto the hardwood where it creaks under my weight. The room is still somewhat empty with only my bed, nightstand, and a mirror hanging on the wall. Everything else is still in boxes scattered around the area. I stand at the door with a large tee shirt and pink sleep shorts.

My hand twists the doorknob as I push the door open carefully. I peek out into the dark hallway and shuffle to the door across from mine. I knock lightly on the door but there's no answer. I press my forehead against the wood and whisper, "Lucien?" Still no answer.

"Lucien, are you awake?"

Nothing.

I roll my eyes and turn down the hall. I find some light coming from under the door at the end. I feel the awkward bubble rising from my stomach. A sigh escapes me as I try to push the bubble down and walk towards the room. I press my ear to the door and hear mumbling of some sort along with the fiddling of a game console. I tap on the door and whisper a similar greeting to the one before, "Billy? Are you awake?"

"Ellie? Yeah- I'm awake." He whisper-calls to me in his scottish accent.

A wave of relief washes over me as he sounds pleased to have company as well. The door swings open to reveal my new family member wearing a blue Chelsea FC hoodie and a pair of joggers with matching slides. He looks me over and twists his thin lips, "Can't sleep?"

"Nope." I shake my head, putting emphasis on the "P."

"I've been waking up at the same time for a week now."

He leans against the doorframe with his hands in his pockets. "I'm sorry. It's just the time change. I'm sure you'll get used to it though- it just takes time."

"Yeah..." I start to feel the awkward bubble rising again as we look at each other in silence- unsure of what to do. "Sorry- I didn't mean to bother you. Were you playing video games?"

"Oh no it's okay!" He reassures me with a smile. "Yeah, I couldn't sleep either, so I've just been on the game with Mason and Christian. Wanna say hi?"

"Sure?" I question with a blush. He invites me into his room with a gesture of his right arm and I enter. He's got a similar layout to my room- a bed in the corner, a nightstand, mirror, etc. But he also has LED lights around the walls, and a gaming desk with a large monitor.

Billy swiftly walks in front of me to grab his headphones. "Sorry boys," He speaks into the mic, "It was just Ellie...say hi."

He puts the headset on me and smiles. I chuckle under my breath and say, "Hello boys."

"Why 'ello Ellie." Mason greets first.

"Hi Mason." My heart races.

"Hey Ellie." Christian greets next in his usual politeness.

"Hi Christian." I reply, "Sorry I took Billy away from the game. I can't sleep."

"No worries love," Mason says slyly. "Come over here and I'll get you right to sleep sweetheart."

"What did he say?" Billy furrows his brows in somewhat disgust.

I shake my head, blushing extremely red. "Thanks for the offer Mason but I think I'm good."

"Don't listen to him." Christian chuckles. "Always a player."

"Alright boys, I'm gonna give it back to Billy now. I'll see you guys soon."

"Bye babygirl." Mason farewell's.

"Bye Ellie." Christian drags out the ending of my name.

I take off the headset and hand it back to Billy who speaks into the mic. "Hey lads, I'm gonna get off now. Talk to you later."

He sets his headset on the desk and shuts off the monitor.

"You didn't have to get off for me." I look at him honestly.

He shrugs and sends me his signature smile, "I was tired of beating those losers anyway. Wanna get some coffee and food?"

"Yes please." I nod enthusiastically. "Do you mind if I change really quickly?"

"Go right ahead." He gestures with his arm again.

I shuffle back towards my room where I am greeted by Lucien swinging his door open. His black locks are wavy under his dark beanie. He's dressed in the same outfit as yesterday, ripped jeans, old sweatshirt, beanie, and vans. He reeks of alcohol and nicotine. He stares at me with his empty eyes.

"I'm going out." He states flatly.

My heart aches as I want to embrace him in a hug. I can't even remember the last time we hugged. He wouldn't want to hug me though. He hates everyone now. Things have changed.

I fiddle with my thumb as I find the courage to invite him along with us. "Do you want to come with me and Billy? We're going to get some coffee and food."

"No." He answers annoyed. "I'll be back later tonight."

"Okay..." I feel my heart drop. "Be safe."

He doesn't reply and just walks off. He passes Billy who has come out of his room now to see us and ignores the "hello." Lucien rounds the corner and disappears downstairs and outside. Billy and I exchange a look. I force a smile and enter my room to change.