Chapter Five

A knock pounds against my door as I sit on the windowsill, watching the twinkling lights in the city dance happily in the night. My head whips over to find my brother slowly entering my room. He's in the same disheveled state and still reeks of tobacco and alcohol. He leans against the wall and stumbles a bit, grabbing onto the top of the doorway. He's drunk.

"Billy said...you needed to....talk?" He slurs his words.

I keep my arms on my stomach as I find the strength to speak. "Dad called me today."

His eyes instantly go dark. They look angry and full of betrayal. He leans back and gawks.

"So?"

"He said you haven't been answering him."

"I haven't." Lucien snaps, stumbling more into the room. "You shouldn't be talking to him."

"He misses you, Lucien."

"Fuck off!" He spits. He throws his hand against the wall causing a loud thud to echo through the room. I flinch at the sound but force myself to stand up and be at his level.

"He just wants to talk..."

"Oh yeah?" Lucien cocks a brow as his words are sounding more sober and full of rage. "Talk? Talk? I'd like to talk to him too- to tell him to go fuck himself."

"Is everything okay?" Billy appears at the entryway. He looks us over as Lucien turns to him with haste.

"Just fine." Lucien glances back at me before walking out. I hear his door slam shut.

Billy sighs. "Can I come in?"

"Sure." I sit back down on the windowsill. Billy joins me. We sit in silence for a moment before he speaks.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I nod, rubbing my arm. "My dad called me today. He asked about Lucien."

"Oh." Billy looks off into the distance. "I see."

We fall into a silence again before Billy asks the lingering question. "Why haven't you told him?"

I suck in a breath. "I can't. I'm not-" I pause. "Supposed too."

Billy raises his eyebrows in understanding. "I'm sorry."

"Me too." I sigh.

I hadn't noticed the shirt he was holding in his hand. He hands it to me and smiles.

"For the game tomorrow. I washed it and everything so you don't have to worry." He chuckles.

"Thanks." I glance at the blue jersey before looking back at him. "You'll do great tomorrow- I'm sure."

"Thanks, Ellie." He stands up.

"Billy-" I quickly follow him. "Is my mom here?"

"No." He shakes his head. "I haven't seen her or my dad. They probably went out."
I force a smile. "Yeah- probably. I'll just talk to her tomorrow."

"Goodnight." Billy waves before exiting to his room.

I plop onto my bed feeling the sadness twirling inside my stomach. Some tears swell in my eyes before I feel a wave of tiredness slip over me.