Chapter 5

After finding out who we were and crying out of happiness. Maids had barged in the playroom to check what made us cried. That day was a little crazy; Aster and I never let go of each other the whole day to now. 

At the beginning of the years, Athanasia would come and get to know us by just being there. We never really reach out and get to know her or be siblings with each other. But Aster and I don’t know how to be siblings or love one another towards Athanasia. But after three years, we are slowly starting to interact with her. She welcomes us with open arms and plays with us. 

I can see she gets tired with us at times. With her adult mental mind would not find anything baby-like entertainment. Aster and I haven’t gotten the best childhood, so we are taking this as an advantage. Even if fatherly love is not in this for the first couple of years… We hope that our father can give us affection, even if it’s Claude De Alger Obelia. 

When the maids found out that Athanasia can write, they immediately assign us to education early on. But sadly, Aster and I had never really received proper education in our previous life. We were just busy trying to survive at home, so it never bothers us. Home school was our only option, but our parents simply ignore it. Aster sometimes wishes he went to a regular school to meet people, but it was never that easy. 

So, then the maids thought it was a good idea to separate Athanasia from us. They call her a genius and need time to focus on education without us distracting her. 

I can tell from afar that Athanasia likes this idea. We never really care. As long if Aster is reachable to me, then I won’t complain. 

After two years, Athanasia never really reach out to us. Aster and I did try but were either stop by the maids or Athanasia is busy with her studies. What’s worst is that Lily is helping take care of Athanasia more than us. Aster and I have straight hair and resemble our father, while Athanasia resembles our mother. 

When everyone notices that Athanasia is more talented and more openly cute, the maids started to ignore us and focus on spoiled Athanasia more. I can’t blame them. We never let them touch us from a young age, and we don’t give them smiles or anything. 

When the maids forget to bring food, we go to the kitchen and make food for ourselves. When the maids forget to take us a bath, we struggle to carry a bucket of water and watch ourselves. When the maids forget to get clean clothes, we wear old clothes with ripped holes.  When the maids take our stuff, we don’t do anything but stare. 

Two years later, we are five years old. We never spend time with Athanasia; Aster believes she forgot about us. I would not be surprised if she did. 

“Hey Acacia, some of the maids are not here. They went with Athanasia to go have a picnic.”

Getting up, we hold hands. Slowly we went towards the kitchen to search for some type of food to diggest. 

Looking inside the kitchen, we search. Looking around, I found two apples and one pear. Aster found chocolate that’s for Athanasia. We took it anyway. Quickly we went back to our room located on the opposite side of the building from Athanasia’s room. We spend hours in our room, away from the society of the Rudy Palace. 

“I feel like we forget something…” I said as we get to change into our pajamas. 

“Did you left the kitchen door opened?” 

“No, that’s not it.” 

He steps inside our small blanket on top of our small mattress. A maid probably change the bed with theirs when we weren’t here today. 

“You’ll probably remember in the morning. Now, it’s sleep time.”

Chuckling, I went to bed with him. 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Waking up, I heard banging against the door. 

W-what? 

The door was slammed open, and maids are walking in. Are they going to steal more stuff from us? 

I shook my brother to wake him up from this commotion. Half asleep, he replies, what happens. 

The leader from this group walk up in front of us and hatefully glare directly at us. Did we do something wrong? Oh no, did they found out about us eating Athanasia chocolate? 

“Did you know that princess Athanasia is moving in with his majesty? She had exceeded in many talented traits than you have ever had. She is a genius, adorable, kind, hard-working, and had managed to capture his majesty eye. What have you done? You two had all this luxury and never once study hard! If you were ever like Athanasia, we would have been out of here and work under the main palace and not this haunted ruby palace!” 

N-No! Stop! Please stop yelling! I’ll do better, I promise!! Please, I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m-

“Leave!!” Aster yelled at the maids with his tears falling. 

The maids jumped up in surprise. They were not expecting him to reply or stand for himself. 

I felt his hands grab my head and placed me against his neck. Protecting me from this commotion the maids are putting on. Why can’t they leave us alone? I’m tired of their bullying. Don’t they have enough of our stuff. We don’t bother them, and they don’t bother us. 

“Heh, I guess the young prince does have a backbone. You and princess Acacia are useless. Good luck taking care of yourself from now on.” 

The young maids behind the leader looked around the room and took every valuable object we have left in our room. We watch as they took everything, even our only blanket. Their leader looks at us with a smug face, acting as she won. When they’re finished, they all left except their leader. 

“Good luck taking care of yourself. Every maid and worker decided to leave.” 

She reached over and patted our heads. Flinching back, we scoop away from her out of fear. 

Smiling, she said. “We are only doing this for your good. Bye~” 

We watch as she walks away, leaving us behind this empty palace. No maids, no Athanasia, no Lily, no nothing. We are all alone. 

“She left us. Athanasia left us. What do we do now?” 

“I-I don’t know. We do what we are used to doing. Survive.” Quickly we both went out of our room to look for anything to help us.