Chapter 16

Walking down the forest path while holding both my sister and Lucas’s hand is relaxing. An excellent way to enter a war that was just a few feet ahead of us.

“Remember, if you need help, just call my name, and I will take you to my tower,” Lucas said, squeezing my hand and Acacia for comfort. At least we know that he can take us away like a knight in shiny armor. A cute knight in shiny armor. When did we get so lucky to have Lucas as our best friend? 

“Okay, but are you sure you don’t want to join the tea and snacks?” My sister said as she looked down on the floor, hiding her expression. 

“I’m sorry, Cia, but I just can’t stand being in the same area with that blondie.” 

“H-How did you survive calling papa that name?” I asked. Well, it’s an understanding that Lucas didn’t die because he is powerful. But how did papa let that slide? 

“You trust so little on my powers, Star.” A playful smirk appears as he let go of our hands. Then, he turned around and faced us while spreading his arms up in the air. “I’m full of surprises, and if you stick around, you can see more.” 

When he was done, he did a quick bow and disappeared just like that. Behind him was the imperial garden full of the most beautiful flowers. We can see hydrangea, freesia, peony, oh wow, they even have spikenard, magnolias, and… they also have an acacia tree and light purple aster surrounding it? 

I grab my sister’s hand as we walk together in the guided walk to lead people around the garden. As we walk, we notice some knights standing around at a far distance from a table set. At the table, we can see Athanasia and Lily there talking to each other. 

As we got closer, a knight saw us and bow down. “My prince and princess, princess Athanasia is there eating, and his royal majesty will come soon.” 

We didn’t say anything but observe as he rises. Then, finally, he went back to his position. We stared at each other and walked hesitantly towards the table. 

My sister whispered in my ear. “Should we make a run for it? We can wait until papa comes or call Lucas?” 

I shake my head and said. “Athanasia and Lily don’t know us anymore. They use to, but now we are strangers to them as they are strangers to us. The only ones we need are papa and Lucas.”

We stared at each other and nodded our heads. Then, full of confidence, we headed towards the table. The conversation between them had stopped as they look at us. Athanasia doesn’t have an expression, but Lily seems close to tears. 

I notice my sister slowed down, but I tug her hand towards the table; we are in this together. There were three chairs left. We silently decided if we wanted to sit next to each other or take the opposite side so both of us can sit next to papa. 

Finally choosing, we took the opposite side from each other so papa can sit between us. A whole awkward moment pass by until Athanasia clear her throat. We look at her as she smiled sweetly as if she isn’t trying to do anything wrong. 

“ I heard from a maid that papa would let me choose a punishment for you two for almost killing me. I don’t like physical punishment, so I’m going to ask daddy that I just want some honest answers for you two, just a little warning.” She said as she continues to eat her chocolate cake as if she didn’t say anything. 

I could feel my heart pound against my chest. What kind of questions will she ask? Will she ask about us being related? Or our time in the dungeon? Forest? Ahh! I want to know what she’s thinking! Do I need to be alert or conscious of my words? 

We didn’t even look at her anymore or Lily. We just sat there in silence as we waited for papa. Good thing we didn’t stay for long because papa came with Felix behind him. Athanasia got up from her chair and ran up to papa and gave him a hug that reached towards his knees. Papa just looked at her and picked her up. 

So, this is how jealousy feels to a full extend… Acacia and I didn’t run up to him but instead gave him a small, shy smile and looked down on our old rip clothes. We didn’t have clothes that are good quality. Lucas wanted to provide us with clothes, but we refuse because small children grow too quickly, so it’s a waste of money, is what my past life mother said. And I agree, why buy something that we are going to outgrown these days. So my sister and I agree we should wait until we are at an age that we stop growing to buy clothes.  

Papa walked towards the table with Athanasia sitting in his arms. He gave her towards Felix, who helps Anthansia sit down on her chair as papa sat on his own, between us. He looked at us and patted our heads affectionately; we melted in his hand as he didn’t stop petting our heads. 

He said. “Who gave you those clothes?” 

Eh? No, hand come back. It was nice and comfortable…

“We had these clothes for years….” My sister said as she looks at her dress. 

Papa stood quiet until he signals Felix to come forward. Felix did, and he smiled at us which we gave him a small one back. Then, Papa whispers something in his ear as he nodded his head and went back to the castle. We didn’t say anything but Athanasia. “Where is Felix going?” 

Papa raised his cup of tea and took a sip. “Nothing you should worry about.” 

Athanasia pouted but just focused on her chocolate cake that was about to finish. As the tea was survived towards us, we looked at each other and nodded. We know that this is Lippe tea, and we need to make a good impression about the tea. So symmetrically, we picked up the teacup and took a sip. 

It’s good! 

After a sip, we continue to take more sips because of how delicious it is! We didn’t notice the looks Athanasia or papa has when they look at us. Athanasia continues to pout, thinking, this is daddy and my tea time.  While papa had a small smiled behind the teacup. 

We stop halfway because we have forgotten how hot the tea was. “Here.” We heard papa said. 

He put down close to us banana pudding! So, happily, we grabbed our spoons and took bites out of that delicious pudding. 

We didn’t notice Athanasia curious looks until she cleared her throat. Then, we both looked at her as she looks at papa. “Daddy, I heard from a maid that I was allowed to give them punishment and that they are also the reasons why I couldn’t hang out with blackie.” 

We stood quiet. I know papa isn’t what he seems or acts like our past life parents, but we hate punishments. Because punishments are earned by bad people and, are we bad? 

We hung our heads down, looking at our clothes while closing our eyes. Feeling ashamed for no reason… 

We then heard Athanasia said, “Daddy doesn’t go back against his words. And I don’t want them to be physically punished. I just want some answers, daddy. So, I want a magician to give them a truth potion so that I can get my answers to any questions I want to ask.” 

Papa stood quiet.